Stopping algae growth on white sand?

nicksteele7

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
What's the best way to preemptively stop algae growth on white sand? I'll be using bright light. Plecos? UV? 6 hours of light a day? Thanks - Nick

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
What's the best way to preemptively stop algae growth on white sand? I'll be using bright light. Plecos? UV? 6 hours of light a day? Thanks - Nick
Hello; reduce light period is my #1 suggestion. Six hours may do it. If not even shorter.

I do not think plecos will help at all.

No idea at all as to how UV will help.

Since algae and other plants use nitrates a heavy WC schedule may help by keeping the nitrates down.

Reduce feeding of the fish a lot.

Make an algae scrubber.

Not sure if this helps with algae but adding good bacteria and enzymes ( such as in RID-X) may be worth a check. Several threads on this in this forum. I have tried it a little. Dod a search for RID-X or for maybe probiotics.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
It can turn into a plague, but Malaysian snails keep sand turned over pretty well

Reactions: tlindsey

BugFreak72

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2017
My crawfish seem to do a pretty good job on my white crushed shells. Careful if you have fish that like to sit near the bottom though. They will grab them at times.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What S skjl47 and monkeybike monkeybike suggested. I would add sand sifting species of fish or burrowing species.

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
  • Keep nitrates low
  • Don't use full spectrum lights
  • Limit the period lights are on
  • Don't put the tank near a window
  • Minimize the amount of silicates in your tank
  • Keep Geophagus

Reactions: tlindsey

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you're not keeping live plants then I recommend leaving the lights off completely, unless you are feeding or observing the tank. I do this with my 220 and it has no algae at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store