strange discoloration

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
More water changes or less fish. Make sure that if your water goes cloudy a bit, you should add some liquid bacteria. That will help fight off the disease/parasite. Like said above, push that heat up to 85 at least. When you do water changes you need to gravel vac because the parasites will bury themselves into the gravel even if you do not see them on the fish.

onetouch2many

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
London
So are we determining that this is some sort of parasite. I can obviously increase my water change frequencies, but I'm also looking for the quickest way to correct the current problem. Unless of course it is based solely on my temperatures being a bit too low. Because, otherwise my water conditions tested well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TimTheBadass

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Wales, UK
So are we determining that this is some sort of parasite. I can obviously increase my water change frequencies, but I'm also looking for the quickest way to correct the current problem. Unless of course it is based solely on my temperatures being a bit too low. Because, otherwise my water conditions tested well.

There is no evidence to suggest it is a parasite. What were the results of your water tests? Are you using a de-chlorinator?
By the looks of the fish there is damage to the slime coat sometimes caused by chlorine, ammonia and very high nitrates.

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus

From the picture I was thinking that the possibility of either an ick or a velvet was present. I know I had a clown loach look like that awhile back after feeding live from an LFS. I thought it was just damage from my bass. Two days later it was dead. It may be the slime coat as well. I would just keep an eye on it. You cant be 100% sure of anything unless its tested. My money would be on just the slime coat. But I would just do the water changes and higher heat along with stress coat to help with chlorine as well as the slime coat for a week. If the discoloration progresses after a week or two. Then it would be time to start thinking parasite. I was just jumping the ball a little bit because of my situation I had a little while back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store