stray electrical current, damn that hurt

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
just had a stray electrical current from one of my heaters going out, so i go down there to feed, fish are all acting totally fine then i put my hand in the water and ZAP, my fingers still hurt, like 20 minutes later, luckilly it was just one of the heaters, unplugged, and its gone now. ive read about that but never had it happen till now, im actually suprised the fish are fine, considering how much it hurt my fingers, but oh well, solved now, new heater in and running. so, if you ever feel a little or in my case a big sting putting your hands in the water, its probablly a heater, damn, still hurts

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
That's happened to me a couple of times. Once with a broken heater in a SW tank and another when I knocked the light in one of my FW tanks. Doesn't hurt the fish because (I believe) they don't complete a circuit (aren't touching anything).

It's a shocking experience. ;)

myfish

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
Tank isn't grounded, so it doesn't complete circuit. It doesn't shock when you have on shoes, but shocks when u dont, I've experienced it on my saltwater tank years ago. lol

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
i find that stealth heaters leaks electricity quite a lot ._. i have em all on 3 of my tanks, 2 of them. my fingers feel buzzingly numb in 2 of the tanks ._.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
hmm, it was a stelth heater, guess i wont be getting that brand anymore

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store