Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They have been with us 5 days. So far their initial reserved, cautious, hesitant feeding shown in this video continues without change. It seems they struggle with accepting and recognizing cut mullet and mackerel as feed. They were raised on feeder fish to 3", then vendor switched them to bloodworms then tilapia. It's has been a lot of work to feed them so far:

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Be careful, if you live in a state that has the striped bass as a game fish, the fish must be of legal size and you can't exceed creel limits.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Cool fish; they look like actual pure Striped Bass rather than Striped/White hybrids (Wipers)? When I read the thread title I assumed that anything available in the hobby would be the hybrids.

Viktor, when you opened the box at the airport with the first shipment, you didn't find any dead fish; did they go upside down during the drive home? Is that a long extended drive for you?

Any idea how these fish will handle your warm summer temperatures? Looking forward to seeing them in one of your bigger tanks. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The vendor says they are purebred striped bass from a Mexico farm. Not a hybrid. The smaller growing hybrids (white = mother, striped = father) I can buy in FL 5x for $30 e.g. with $20 shipping from Live Aquaponics. These are approx. $100 each and the shipping is $120 from California airport to airport.

Yes, one must have a license to keep them.

In the first shipment they were tripled bagged in fogged up bags and milky water - I couldn't see anything. The drive home is about 45 min versus approx. 20 hours en route from Los Angeles to Ft. Myers.

Will see if I can keep them / some of them alive before thinking about the summers. I am having problems with them. Will report duly soon.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is frustratingly difficult to feed thawed fish if offered in several or many smaller pieces. The bass takes them most or half in the mouth and spits out most or half. I take them out rotten the next day. One large piece is swallowed almost always eagerly. Strange and new to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store