Struggling with rhom diet

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
Mine eats freshwater shrimp I get from the grocery store. He's around 5" or so. I intend on getting a variety of foods to alternate between. He gets a beercap sized piece every other day. Have to explore what grocery stores have available. I thought I read that salmon contained.. something.. Thia.??? that wasn't good for growth?

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Small rhoms tend to be picky eaters. So the amount you are feeding seems ok. I would starve it for awhile and offer white fish daily until it eats.

As recommended it is always a good idea to treat wild caught fish with prazipro just as a precaution.
Great thanks, I'm going to do this. I'll get some prazipro as well

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Colder temps can make fish less active. I keep my red bellies around 70° during winter so their less active thus eat less but when I crank the temp back to 78° they are much much more active and hungry.

Also since its already 6" you should start practising big feedings, such as 1 large feeding every 4 days or so. Good for them to be hungry

As said above wait a week or 10 days then offer talapia or pellets. Personally I would hold out for pellets such as NLS and you will see colors pop, at that point supplementing talapia is always a good idea.

One other idea, high lighting can make piranhas skittish or want to hide (less active), just something to consider since their eyes are huge.

-GO S. VETTEL #5 SF15-T!!!

POTHOS: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ts-less-nitrate!-POTHOS&p=6044042#post6044042

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Colder temps can make fish less active. I keep my red bellies around 70° during winter so their less active thus eat less but when I crank the temp back to 78° they are much much more active and hungry.

Also since its already 6" you should start practising big feedings, such as 1 large feeding every 4 days or so. Good for them to be hungry

As said above wait a week or 10 days then offer talapia or pellets. Personally I would hold out for pellets such as NLS and you will see colors pop, at that point supplementing talapia is always a good idea.

One other idea, high lighting can make piranhas skittish or want to hide (less active), just something to consider since their eyes are huge.

-GO S. VETTEL #5 SF15-T!!!

POTHOS: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ts-less-nitrate!-POTHOS&p=6044042#post6044042

Thanks F1, I've dim lights on the tank so he should be ok. I've ordered some prazipro anyway and I'm going to try and give him some hake tonight, we don't seem to get tilapia over here. I'll keep ye updated on how things go. Thanks again for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store