Sturgeons

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Hi so I am a beginner on knowing about sturgeons, so I've searched up on Acipenser sturgeons and it shows that they live part of their life in freshwater and part of their life in saltwater. If I am planning to keep this sturgeon can it live their whole life in freshwater? if not can someone recommend me another species of sturgeon that can? Also, I heard from people that sturgeons that are captive bred in Thailand can live in temperatures of 25-28 degrees Celcius as they have already adapted to the environment if anyone knows what species of sturgeon that can live in 25-28 degrees Celcius water, please enlighten me.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yanbbrox Yanbbrox knows more about sturgeon.

That sounds iffy. Sturgeon come from cool waters naturally, perhaps they can survive in warmer water but it can't always carry enough oxygen to sustain the fish fully... Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds odd to me.

Reactions: tlindsey

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Yanbbrox Yanbbrox knows more about sturgeon.

That sounds iffy. Sturgeon come from cool waters naturally, perhaps they can survive in warmer water but it can't always carry enough oxygen to sustain the fish fully... Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds odd to me.
Yeah I know they survive in cool water but I know some people in my country keep sturgeons in their pond while it’s 28-30 degrees out

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Acipenser is a genus with many species having varying habitats and biologies. I am afraid they cannot be generalized like that.

You may look at the third link in my signature. I have complied some basic info on most (all?) sturgeon in my database, including water temp ranges. Here in Florida, USA sturgeons are farmed sometimes. There is a very large and unique farm in the northern Florida: http://sturgeonaquafarms.com/ I plan to get adult sterlet (2 feet) and sevruga (3 feet) sturgeon from them next winter to try them in our 25,000 gal exhibit.

There are some populations that have been land-locked in freshwater. The info on which ones can too be found in my database. IDK what happens if a potamodromous or anadromous sturgeon is kept for life in f/w, whether it grows to full potential and lives out full lifespan.

If a pond is deep enough, it removes temp management problem. Our daily temp temp max may be 33-37 C for half a year but the earth below 2'-3' always stays at a constant 23 C and the deeper the water levels in a pond, the cooler the water.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sterlet and Siberian appear to be fully f/w sturgeon species. Perhaps there are others too.

ZIPLOCKEDBRZ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2019
NH
I believe just as most anadromous fish they live most of their life in the salt water then travel to freshwater (normally up rivers) to spawn. As thebiggerthebetter put there are for sure landlocked species just as there are with most other anadromous fish. Here in NH we have landlocked atlantic salmon, a freshwater only living salmon, that thrive in lake/river systems despite only the freshwater they see.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Acipenser is a genus with many species having varying habitats and biologies. I am afraid they cannot be generalized like that.

You may look at the third link in my signature. I have complied some basic info on most (all?) sturgeon in my database, including water temp ranges. Here in Florida, USA sturgeons are farmed sometimes. There is a very large and unique farm in the northern Florida: http://sturgeonaquafarms.com/ I plan to get adult sterlet (2 feet) and sevruga (3 feet) sturgeon from them next winter to try them in our 25,000 gal exhibit.

There are some populations that have been land-locked in freshwater. The info on which ones can too be found in my database. IDK what happens if a potamodromous or anadromous sturgeon is kept for life in f/w, whether it grows to full potential and lives out full lifespan.

If a pond is deep enough, it removes temp management problem. Our daily temp temp max may be 33-37 C for half a year but the earth below 2'-3' always stays at a constant 23 C and the deeper the water levels in a pond, the cooler the water.
ah, my pond is 70CM deep, I don't think thats deep enough?

Sterlet and Siberian appear to be fully f/w sturgeon species. Perhaps there are others too.
hey, as the name suggests I think siberian would have to be kept in very cold water and therefore I might get a sterlet. Is it fine to keep sterlets in 30 degrees celcius water? and how do I identify a sterlet haha

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
ah, my pond is 70CM deep, I don't think thats deep enough?

hey, as the name suggests I think siberian would have to be kept in very cold water and therefore I might get a sterlet. Is it fine to keep sterlets in 30 degrees celcius water? and how do I identify a sterlet haha
Your location is a secret. If you are in a warm climate, I'd say no, not deep enough. In Florida (subtropical) a pond should be at least 20 feet (6.5 meters) deep for such purposes. Deeper is better.

I'd not go by names and uncertain insinuations a name may suggest. This is a serious project you are conceiving. If you looked at my database and have done other homework, you'd know the natural temp ranges, so just judge off that info. My impression is Siberian is no less tolerant of warmer waters than most other Acipenser. Parts of southern Siberia get mighty hot in the summertime for 2-3 months, like 35 Celsius. Also, I know for a fact Siberians are farmed or at least kept in Florida outdoors. I know one vendor personally in the Tampa Bay area.

My other impression is this is not so much about the water temp per se but about dissolved oxygen (DO). With vigorous aeration, one can get away with warmer water.

The sturgeon farm in the northern Florida I linked above for you told me that their sterlet is ok at 82 Farenheit (28 C) with strong aeration.

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Your location is a secret. If you are in a warm climate, I'd say no, not deep enough. In Florida (subtropical) a pond should be at least 20 feet (6.5 meters) deep for such purposes. Deeper is better.

I'd not go by names and uncertain insinuations a name may suggest. This is a serious project you are conceiving. If you looked at my database and have done other homework, you'd know the natural temp ranges, so just judge off that info. My impression is Siberian is no less tolerant of warmer waters than most other Acipenser. Parts of southern Siberia get mighty hot in the summertime for 2-3 months, like 35 Celsius. Also, I know for a fact Siberians are farmed or at least kept in Florida outdoors. I know one vendor personally in the Tampa Bay area.

My other impression is this is not so much about the water temp per se but about dissolved oxygen (DO). With vigorous aeration, one can get away with warmer water.

The sturgeon farm in the northern Florida I linked above for you told me that their sterlet is ok at 82 Farenheit (28 C) with strong aeration.
Ah, so as Long as I got air bubbles going everywhere in the pond I should be fine, I’m in indonesia btw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store