Sub $300 Dollar Plywood Build

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Well the time has come, my cheap PVC liner has ripped so all the pond fish need a new tank. I've got a channel cat and a couple natives. I figure the 4x2x2 foot print will last a good while so I'm gonna go ahead and build another tank with the same footprint. I've got the front glass panel from an old 55. I'm planning to use rubberizeit, two gallons should suffice. It will be made from 3/4 inch plywood. I'm going to coat the front planet in fiberglass resin, silicone on the glass panel, the cut off any excess silicone. After that ill coat the entire tank, over lapping the glass by an inch. This is the part I'm most worried about failing. I'll brace the top with a 2x4 perimeter and cross brace.
Predicted Cost:
Glass: free
2x 4x8 Plywood: About 70
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...word=Maple+plywood&storeId=10051#.UO-KvP29KK0
(Does this plywood seen ok)
2x Rubberizeit: 150
3x 2x4x8: 10
1x Fiberglass Resin: 15
5 LB Screws: 20
25 Feet Reinforcement Cloth: 12
3x Silicone: 15
2x Liquid Nails: 15
Did I miss anything?
Ill be post updated here, btw this build is loosely based on uarajoey's, so credit to him.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
I figure the 4x2x2 foot print will last a good while so I'm gonna go ahead and build another tank with the same footprint. I've got the front glass panel from an old 55.

I'm planning to use rubberizeit, two gallons should suffice. It will be made from 3/4 inch plywood. I'm going to coat the front planet in fiberglass resin, silicone on the glass panel, the cut off any excess silicone.

After that ill coat the entire tank, over lapping the glass by an inch. This is the part I'm most worried about failing. I'll brace the top with a 2x4 perimeter and cross brace.

Predicted Cost:

2x 4x8 Plywood: About 70
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...word=Maple+plywood&storeId=10051#.UO-KvP29KK0
(Does this plywood seen ok)

2x Rubberizeit: 150

1x Fiberglass Resin: 15

The quality of birch plywood at "big box" stores like Home Depot has gone down quite a bit in the last ten years, although at $35 a sheet it's not that bad. Do you have Menards in your area? They carry a grade of MDO that is rated for exterior use and has resin impregnated film on both sides. I haven't bought it in a few years but it was very good stuff for the price back when I did.

But why do you need two 4x8 sheets for a 4x2x2 build? I know you need five panels at 4x2 if you want to make both the front and top pieces out of a single sheet but I don't believe that's necessary enough to buy a whole second sheet. If you want the second sheet and want to use complete panels for the top and front you could go bigger.

Or did you have a need for the extra?

I would overlap more onto the glass. At least another inch.

If you're buying a quart of polyester resin I'd go ahead and coat and reinforce as much of the interior as you can. The glass contact area and interior seams are most important but after than some extra cloth and resin on the bottom if you have it left over adds abrasion resistance.

You didn't mention a budget build per se but since you're bringing up cost I assume you're wanting to keep costs down? If so the Rubberizit type sealers tend to be more expensive since they are low solids and require such a thick layer to waterproof. Now there are other compelling reasons to use these types of sealers and if it's what you want to use then go for it. But it will be a more expensive option. Is the $75 per gallon with shipping?

Two gallons of Rubberizit will only give you around 32 square feet of coverage at 50 mils dry film thickness, which is typically the recommended waterproofing thickness most of these liquid rubber type products mention. I'm having trouble with their site but can look into that more later. If my numbers are reasonably close that two gallons will only waterproof one sheet of plywood.

I've never used Max ACR epoxy but many have liked it and I think it's around the $75 per gallon mark. But it's 100% solids and waterproofs at 10 mils dry film thickness so that same two gallons would waterproof 320 square feet, or ten times as much. Now it will take more than that since you're using fiberglass cloth and most people use more than 10 mils anyways but you're not going to use anywhere near ten times as much. And you won't need the polyester resin since you'd be using epoxy.

Again, Rubberizit and other liquid rubber products appeal to people for a few other reasons so by all means use it if it makes you feel more comfortable.

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Sorry, I meant 4x4x2. The site said 135 square feet feet, with one coat and suggested 3 so I calculated 90 square feet of coverage. I dont have a meanards, just a Lowes, Home Depot and Hardwood Store that sells like $150 sheets. I would prefer Max ACR but without intense fiberglass sheeting use or bracing on 6 sides, Ive heard of problems with cracking. If I go with Max ACR I would use fiberglass tape along the seams.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
Sorry, I meant 4x4x2. The site said 135 square feet feet, with one coat and suggested 3 so I calculated 90 square feet of coverage. I dont have a meanards, just a Lowes, Home Depot and Hardwood Store that sells like $150 sheets. I would prefer Max ACR but without intense fiberglass sheeting use or bracing on 6 sides, Ive heard of problems with cracking. If I go with Max ACR I would use fiberglass tape along the seams.
Fiberglass reinforcement is a good idea even if you were just using a liquid rubber type product. But you've already planned for that.

Is the $15 price you mentioned for a quart of polyester resin? That's about what Max ACR costs, albeit before shipping. And I think that's for a 1.5 gallon kit.

Rubberizit says 135 square feet for a single coat from a gallon? I'll try their site again later.

Glad to hear you're building it 4x4x2. Nice size.

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Thanks for the input, I believe it suggest a minimum of three coats so about 45 square feet a gallon. I know Joey said about a 1/4 of a gallon of liquid rubber per coat for a similarly sized tank. Do you think max axe would be ok with fiberglass tape only at the seams, and a 2x4 top and bottom brace.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
Thanks for the input, I believe it suggest a minimum of three coats so about 45 square feet a gallon. I know Joey said about a 1/4 of a gallon of liquid rubber per coat for a similarly sized tank. Do you think max axe would be ok with fiberglass tape only at the seams, and a 2x4 top and bottom brace.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Their site is working a bit better for me and I found 30 mils per coat (wet). That means a gallon would only cover about 50 square feet per coat. So you'd need three gallons to cover 50 square feet with three coats. If you can link to the page on their site that shows the coverage you mentioned I'd like to see it.

Max ACR themselves says that their product is only needed at the seams and has even suggested that the fiberglass only needs to go on the outside (seams) of the tank.

Max ACR is cheaper per gallon and the equivalent volume is 50% thicker once cured compared to Rubberizeit. So for less money you end up with a thicker coat. Or you could spend even less dollars and have a "normal" thickness of epoxy. But with epoxy you have to mix each batch which some people screw up and it you would likely want to apply multiple thicker coats of epoxy vs. Rubberizeit. And even though epoxy is more flexible than people give it credit for, Rubberizeit is certainly the more flexible product.

If it were me I'd use the money saved and put it towards more fiberglass cloth. But I've mixed up many a gallon of epoxy in my time and have never had an issue with getting it to fully catalyze. And I've never had it crack.

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Hate to triple post but I can't figure out how to edit in the app. I found the 135 sq feet coverage at 20 mil here, so two gallons equals 270 sq feet for one coat so with three coats 90 sq ft at 60 mil. But I may be misunderstanding the info. Thanks again for the info, I'm leaning toward max acr.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
I found the 135 sq feet coverage at 20 mil here, so two gallons equals 270 sq feet for one coat so with three coats 90 sq ft at 60 mil. But I may be misunderstanding the info.
There was a mistake somewhere. A gallon of anything will only cover 135 square feet at 11.88 mils. Rubberizeit specifically shrinks to 2/3 its wet film thickness so in the case of that specific product a gallon would only cover 135 square feet at 8 mils thickness.

From what I read on their site they recommend a total dry film thickness of 60 mils, meaning 90 mils of product would need to be applied wet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store