Substrate change

cacichilds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
NJ
My question is pretty straightforward I'm going from black sand to pfs

I can set up some buckets for my fish with aerators in them and monitor which is nota big deal.

Aside from the typical cloudiness does that affect the fish anyway whatsoever I plan on filling it halfway draining it filling it halfway integrating it and then a final fill.

I I was going to save about 20% of my current tank water to keep some beneficial bacteria.

Is there anything else I should consider while doing this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I always just scoop out old and add new without moving fish. Never had any issues.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
As long as your original substrate has no dead spots, you should be fine. If you have extra thick substrate, it hasn't been completely stirred for a long time, or it's under large flat stones, etc., it might be a concern if the fish are in the tank.

Original = 2 inches or less and no major decor: no issues.

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
If its sand, you can just siphon it right out. If you run out of water to siphon with, fill up and wait a day :)

Use a slightly larger hose if you have one.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Yea my wife will kill me if I dump a tank of black sand in the tub lol. I'm stuck with the drain and scoop method .

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No need to drain. Just get a plastic cup(I like the big plastic souvenir cups) and scoop, helps to keep pushing the sand into piles. Once the sand is removed you'll want to vac the bottom then its time to start adding sand.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I switched from black colorquartz sand to pool filter sand. I changed the sand during a water change, right after I drained the water from my tank. I left all the fish in there and got a new dustpan and broom and swept up all the old sand. Then I just put the rinsed pfs in there to replace it. The only risk in doing it this way is that you'll be taking out a lot of your good bacteria when you take out all the sand at once, but I have plenty of media in my filters and not a lot of fish so it wasn't an issue for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store