Substrate for BTS

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve heard people getting their substrate from Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc…does anyone use any for their BTS? If so, what do you use?
Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics
Friller2009 Friller2009
Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16
Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I use a a mix of orchid bark, carbon/charcoal, coco fiber, and soil I used to use sphagnum/peat moss but I find it collects at the top from the skink digging. Watch serpae design on YouTube he has good videos about making different substrates.
Awesome, thanks!

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I’ve heard people getting their substrate from Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc…does anyone use any for their BTS? If so, what do you use?
Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics
Friller2009 Friller2009
Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16
Thanks
I use organic topsoil for practically any tropical/subtropical setup, typically Scotts from Home Depot (the red, slightly pricier bags) due to its "fluffier" consistency and ingredients, but most organic topsoils seem to be alright.
Also a good couple handfuls of moss; used to be able to find sphagnum moss in bags at Lowes every now and then, but all the stores near me stopped carrying it a good number of years back; they sold it in large blocks as "orchid moss" or something of that sort (stuff would have a ton of pine needles or something mixed in, though). I now just use shredded dried sheet moss (NOT preserved; I don't trust whatever happened to it to make it permanently green), which works alright, but still doesn't beat sphagnum IMO.
Possibly a handful of sand or two; typically Quikrete Play Sand (same stuff I use for my tanks; easily washable, good grain size IMO).
And a bunch of random botanicals- typically whatever random stuff I think is safe and suitable that I find in places relatively untouched by human influence, such as leaves, alder cones, pieces of oak bark, maybe some small twigs (from deciduous trees, and safe ones at that); I usually use a small hand rake to gather it up. Sanitisation usually involves stewing the lot in a big pot.
Oh, and dead leaves (or sometimes the whole plant, broken up or intact) from safe houseplants that I always manage to kill.
I sometimes toss in a few P. pruinosis as well; if I do, I add some ground cuttlebone and bits of snake shed.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I use organic topsoil for practically any tropical/subtropical setup, typically Scotts from Home Depot (the red, slightly pricier bags) due to its "fluffier" consistency and ingredients, but most organic topsoils seem to be alright.
Also a good couple handfuls of moss; used to be able to find sphagnum moss in bags at Lowes every now and then, but all the stores near me stopped carrying it a good number of years back; they sold it in large blocks as "orchid moss" or something of that sort (stuff would have a ton of pine needles or something mixed in, though). I now just use shredded dried sheet moss (NOT preserved; I don't trust whatever happened to it to make it permanently green), which works alright, but still doesn't beat sphagnum IMO.
Possibly a handful of sand or two; typically Quikrete Play Sand (same stuff I use for my tanks; easily washable, good grain size IMO).
And a bunch of random botanicals- typically whatever random stuff I think is safe and suitable that I find in places relatively untouched by human influence, such as leaves, alder cones, pieces of oak bark, maybe some small twigs (from deciduous trees, and safe ones at that); I usually use a small hand rake to gather it up. Sanitisation usually involves stewing the lot in a big pot.
Oh, and dead leaves (or sometimes the whole plant, broken up or intact) from safe houseplants that I always manage to kill.
I sometimes toss in a few P. pruinosis as well; if I do, I add some ground cuttlebone and bits of snake shed.
Awesome info!!! Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store