substrate help

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
300 gallon tank trying to save some money. I love the ada amazonia look, so im looking to use that as a top layer but I just want to make sure it will be able to hold down a 1ich of dirt. Plus i was going to use gravel as a filler in my tank and(sadly already did so) But I was hoping to put the dirt on top of the gravel then use the ADA to top it off.
#2Thinking to add more dirt on the gravel?! slippage haha
Think this could work?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not sure exactly what you mean by dirt, if you mean soil, then this can have parts that float and probably best under the gravel altogether, especially if you have fish that dig or plants.
I used before actual clay and put this as bottom filler layer 1-2” and then fine gravel on top 2” which fills and allows to keep even plants like swords happy.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Yeah, you need the cap the soil with sand or gravel. ADA is too light, it won’t hold anything down. You might as well remove the gravel, add soil/clay, then gravel, then ADA if you like the look of it

BTW: What type of clay did you use?

Reactions: Hellothere116

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I'd remove everything and start a fresh with substrate if you aren't happy with what's there already. You risk it mixing too. Mesh filter bags filled with inert gravel, or better still, some sort of crushed lava rock or filter media? This will raise you bed up at the back and save you spending a fortune. Then your choice of soil ontop.

Just a thought.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store