Substrate issues with Bichirs.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
I got 2 Senegals. One of them seems to have a bruise under his belly and I suspect it might be my substrate (will post a pic below of the substrate). How could I change it ? Its a 40B . What type of substrate I should get ? I also got plants. Thanks in Advance !

IMG_20220330_211520.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A picture of the abrasion may be nice. Could also be caused by colliding/rubbing with hardscape.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
A picture of the abrasion may be nice. Could also be caused by colliding/rubbing with hardscape.
Yeah thought of that too...Got a clay pot in there he liked going in and out of. Will also remove it. Would silica sand be good for them ? Got some in hand could change it today.
Also I will try to get a picture of the abrasion when Im home.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Most of us have Garnet or Pool Filter Sand as a substrate for Bichir.
What about Silica sand ? Sadly the two you mentioned were not available in my LFS and I got Silica ready at home.

Last edited:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What about Silica sand ? Sadly the two you mentioned were not available in my LFS and I got Silica ready at home.[/ISPOILER]
Pool filter sand is silica sand mesh size #20. Rinse that silica sand thoroughly until it rinse clear. Be prepared for diatoms if this silica sand hasn't been used in a tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Pool filter sand is silica sand mesh size #20. Rinse that silica sand thoroughly until it rinse clear. Be prepared for diatoms if this silica sand hasn't been used in a tank.
Ah I see, so its not harmful and ok for my Bichirs I assume ? I will wash it Before putting in and for the diatoms...Well hope the Platy and BN Pleco eat them up...If they dont I will just do more water changes. Will it always make Diatoms grow or will it stop at one point ?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Ah I see, so its not harmful and ok for my Bichirs I assume ? I will wash it Before putting in and for the diatoms...Well hope the Platy and BN Pleco eat them up...If they dont I will just do more water changes. Will it always make Diatoms grow or will it stop at one point ?
It will stop at one point, maybe months, depends on how often and how much water changes you do. Also depends on your water source. Rinse until it looks clear. I like to use old tank water (with no debris) and fill a 3 gallon bucket no more than 50% of sand before dumping out the tank water into the yard. Do a test clean on a clear day and make sure that there is no oil slick as well (seen if you look at the water from an angle). Some silica sand like play sand has oil residue.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
It will stop at one point, maybe months, depends on how often and how much water changes you do. Also depends on your water source. Rinse until it looks clear. I like to use old tank water (with no debris) and fill a 3 gallon bucket no more than 50% of sand before dumping out the tank water into the yard. Do a test clean on a clear day and make sure that there is no oil slick as well (seen if you look at the water from an angle). Some silica sand like play sand has oil residue.
Ok, good thing I had it ready can change it today. Thanks alot for the information !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store