sudden hanging at the top problem

sev

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2009
kent
www.artbreak.com
Hi all , one day all fish are fine , next day some of them are hangong at the top of the tank and the others are breething fast. Not all seem affected . I did a 30 percent water change , sorted the filter , it was a bit better , but not fixed , did another 30 percent water change in the evening . seemed to be sorted , this morning the fish are still breathing fast and a small few are hanging at the surface. My first thought was something in the water . I wondered about overstocking but it happened overnght , it was totally fine the day before . My Angelfish are in fact gaurning eggs and my dwarf gouramis have a bubblenest going , the fish are happy fish usually . Its a planted jewel aguarium with the usual tropical community suspects in it . ive practically stopped feeding just in case but there is no left over food in it at all- help?
Its NEARLY back to normal , do i wter change again ? the tanks been running for ages perfectly well . it has a lot of bogwood in it , my other thought was too much tannin in the water but the water changes should have fixed that i think ?

sev

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2009
kent
www.artbreak.com
now my small keyhole is hanging at the top . all the other fish are down except the pencil fish but they dont look happy they look stressed . hmm. i cant replace all the filter media because i will lose the bacteria. im going to get an attatchment to my internal filter to put air into the tank and see if that helps.
Im worried.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Im going through a similar problem, but I am sure theres enough oxygen. I cant quite place what is wrong. Im not sure if I am dealing with a gill problem or if there is parasites affecting the fish etc.

Do you see any tattered fins at all? Any discoloration? Do fish seem lethargic or hang vertically etc? Do they eat normally or eating less or not eating at all?

I lost a fish about a week ago that was rapid breathing, lethargic, wouldnt eat and it seemed to have dark fins and they were tattered a bit. And then it died within 2 days. Now one of my other fish is showing the symptoms but it eats.

sev

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2009
kent
www.artbreak.com
tattered fins , yes , a week ago i put in some fin rot treatment and that helped the rpsy barbs which had been a bit nipped i think . i saw a cardinal with practically no tail left , which is why i bought the fin rot treatment .
I just went to the pet shop and bought an aerator attatchment for the filter and that seems to have sorted it , all the fish are down now but i dont understand how they had an oxygen defficiency overnight ? weird.
They are all feeding and they all look fine now , perky .
I tested the nitrates and thats fine so im not having filter problems ... mystery. my one thought was the bubblenest the gourami made , its getting old and he ripped out the roots of my plants and stuck in any loose bit of plant material he could find , maybe its getting old and going off ??? do you have an airstone in yours ? because mine didnt have aytra air untill now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store