Suggestions For Growing Up N. Venustus For Potential Breeding?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sure. I will take some pics in the next day or two. Still juveniles but you will be able to see what they look like now.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Here are a couple of pics. I can see they are bigger than when I got them in November. Slightly longer, but I am especially noticing that they are a lot bigger top to bottom more so than head to tail size change.2024-18January-Venustus-01.jpg2024-18January-Venustus-03.jpg

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
If the goal is to breed them, get a single male and bunch of females (5-6). More than just 2-3 or the females will get run down. I'd start with a dozen and sell the extra males when they start to color up at 3-4." When I kept them (and other Nimbochromis - linni, livingstoni, fuscos, etc.) I fed them plenty of live red wiggler worms (and excess fry of cichlids and livebearers that I was also breeding).

It seems counterintuitive but crowding them actually reduces aggression. A 90g is a tall 75g. That's plenty. You could actually add a bunch more with plenty of filtration and water changes (weekly 75% or more - although mine were on a twice daily drip system). Adding a water circulator in the tank can also reduce aggression.

I'd also recommend decorating the tank with a bunch of PVC pipe. When a female is holding, net the pipe she's hiding in with a brine shrimp net (the fine white ones) and give her her own 15 or 20g to incubate her eggs in peace. Then get her nice and plump with red wigglers and other high protein food before you return her to the main tank (during a water change, preferably). You will have more venustus babies than you could ever want...

I can get some young 1.5 inch Venustus. I am experienced with 20 years Tropheus, Frontosa, Cyps, Blue Dolphins, etc. Have not had this fish before. Am thinking of ending up with a small breeding group. Say one male, two or three females. No other species of fish in the tank. A few questions:
1) How many should I start with to likely end up with 1M, 2 or 3 F?
2) At what length would they likely be sexable?
3) Could 3 or 4 adult venustus be housed in a 90 gallon?

Reactions: punman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store