Suggestions on dry food that's not full of cheap garbage?

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Fwiw my fish love NLS brand. The only food they go for quicker is "Ken's meat wafers" which I bought during a time where we were pinching pennies. Not sure what Ken puts in those meat wafers but nearly everything in my tank goes into freak-out mode when they hit the water.
The meat wafers do indeed trigger a frenzy

Reactions: BadGaskets

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Good topic! I tend to mix NLS, Northfin, samples of whatever random food I get with dried soldier fly larvae (available for chickens). I also feed a lot of live worms (red wigglers that I culture and earthworms from my driveway when it rains).

Reactions: BadGaskets

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
As long as you don't live in an area that is sprayed for mosquitoes, and don't use any toxic chemicals yourself, then the dead mosquitoes harvested from a mosquito trap can be a terrific addition to the diet of many fish. I've also mounted small electronic bug zappers above outside stocktanks and let them act as auto feeders. :)

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
NLS can be unpalatable food for many fish due to how dense it is IME especially if you introduce the pellets after feeding them much softer foods.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
As I've kept fish over the past 35 years I've become way more picky over what I feed my fish. I'm lucky enough to live near the coast so I harvest mullet, shrimp, shellfish etc for nearly free but it's quite a lot of work.

I've also found that my fish are healthier if I avoid the more common brands of fish food. Especially my catfish, characins, and cichlids. Most livebearer and cyprinids seem to eat nearly anything without issue.

I get really frustrated when I see stuff like wheat, dehulled wheat germ, soybean anything, corn starch, "vegetable oil" (in quotes, because its literally never a vegetable based oil). None of that horseshit is something fish eat in the wild and I'm convinced most of it is cheapass filler.

I've used New Life Spectrum quite a lot as well as "whole" freeze dried foods, and seemingly as long as I use mostly those, I tend to have healthier fish. My catfish don't ever seem to bloat, my cichlids spawn more regularly, etc.

Are there any other brands out there I should consider? I seem to remember seeing others that had better ingredients but they seem to be harder to find.
I’ve been using Ron’s African cichlid food for all of my fish for a couple years and they all seem to be doing extremely well on it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store