Sump education

AquaticRebel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2021
I have a 4x2x2 120g that currently houses my 2 Oscars but will be home to my Bichir collection that I'm starting but will take some time to fulfill the list of my upper jaw selection ! I was thinking of upgrading from my SunSun HW 3000 canister to a sump or a refugium and I really don't want to drill my tank so I was wondering what size of sump and return pump gph should I go with ? 20210505_075731.jpg

20210412_134538.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Tj203

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I have a 4x2x2 120g that currently houses my 2 Oscars but will be home to my Bichir collection that I'm starting but will take some time to fulfill the list of my upper jaw selection ! I was thinking of upgrading from my SunSun HW 3000 canister to a sump or a refugium and I really don't want to drill my tank so I was wondering what size of sump and return pump gph should I go with ? View attachment 1463561

View attachment 1463562
So there is no rule for size of the sump you just want it as big as you can fit. Also I would drill the tank it is ez and much safer then using one of the over the top overflow. They can lose suction and cause a flood. Imo there is nothing better then a sump, Ease of access for cleaning, the extra water. I know I have 2 tanks the one with the canister filter dose not get cleaned as much because of how long it takes. The sump you just take the filter sock or Whatever mechanical media you're using out and just drop the new one on in seconds not 20 minutes

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
So there is no rule for size of the sump you just want it as big as you can fit. Also I would drill the tank it is ez and much safer then using one of the over the top overflow. They can lose suction and cause a flood. Imo there is nothing better then a sump, Ease of access for cleaning, the extra water. I know I have 2 tanks the one with the canister filter dose not get cleaned as much because of how long it takes. The sump you just take the filter sock or Whatever mechanical media you're using out and just drop the new one on in seconds not 20 minutes
You can also look in to the c2c and drill the back of the tank

AquaticRebel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2021
20210412_071055.jpgIt just happens my tank is a 25 yr old former salt water tank that was drilled for a sump

Reactions: tlindsey and Tj203

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
What size are they holes?
Tbh polys don't need a ton of flow so if those hole are 1" safe flow is 600gph or less. (You can do more if full syphon but that's a little more advanced). If it were me I'd do both as drains and shoot for around 1000gph after head. That's if they are 1". When I say 1" that's the size of the bulkhead I believe actual hole size is 1 3/4".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Tbh polys don't need a ton of flow so if those hole are 1" safe flow is 600gph or less. (You can do more if full syphon but that's a little more advanced). If it were me I'd do both as drains and shoot for around 1000gph after head. That's if they are 1". When I say 1" that's the size of the bulkhead I believe actual hole size is 1 3/4".
I agree with the above.
I'd remove the glass squares coving the holes, and put in bulkheads and 2 standpipes as overflows, and just run a pipe over the top for return water.
1623608507717.png
Above you can see one of the stand pipes in the right side of the tank.
And below the influent pipe over the rim
1623608597916.png
Just like your tank, there are two stand pipes in either end of the tank above, just hard to see the one on the left.

AquaticRebel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2021
next time I do a waterchange I'll measure them

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store