sump for new discus tank with two overflows

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
hi guys,

here's a rough rendering of my sump design for my new discus tank.

any comments ? suggestions ?

the dimensions are 54"L x 13"B x 17"H

sump design.jpg

sump design.jpg

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd skip the chambers with the sponge as they look like they could clog easily and restrict the flow, and they probably aren't necessary after the filter socks anyway. You may want to run some sort of mech between the planted part and the bio media though, and I'd skip the carbon completely if it were me. Last thing is make sure the last chamber where the pump/bio is has enough space to hold the skim when the pump switches off.
What sort of bio media are you using?
What is your reason for having the planted refugium bit, nitrate removal, having somewhere to grow out fry, or just for the sake of having a small planted 'tank'?

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
I'd skip the chambers with the sponge as they look like they could clog easily and restrict the flow, and they probably aren't necessary after the filter socks anyway. You may want to run some sort of mech between the planted part and the bio media though, and I'd skip the carbon completely if it were me. Last thing is make sure the last chamber where the pump/bio is has enough space to hold the skim when the pump switches off.
What sort of bio media are you using?
What is your reason for having the planted refugium bit, nitrate removal, having somewhere to grow out fry, or just for the sake of having a small planted 'tank'?
Thanks for your response. I am changing the design slightly and shifting the filter pads to after the plants. My reasons for having a planted area a bit of everything you mentioned except for raising any fry. Always wanted to have a sump with a refugium and wanna see how it goes.

Bio media: gonna use some ceramic beads, then some scrubbies over the beads.

If I use RO water (got an RO filter at home) then I dont need to use activated carbon at all ?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Looks good to me, also an idea is just putting some pothos in the sump and leaving the sump open with some media in it at the end, So no dividers, 2 socks at one end, put a pothos plant stuck in something near the top of the water so bare roots hang into the water and then put something like pond matrix/rings/etc at the end near the pump like you have. Looks good though, cant go wrong with your ideas and setup.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I would be worried those narrow sponges will cause problems. they get clogged and you're flooding or running the pump dry.sump design2.jpg

sump design2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store