Sump overflow

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As said above.
I do not think water fall is critical if you have other means to oxygenate the water..

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I too have jap mat in my first chamber (no socks as i find they clog too quick) but i find jap mat restricts the water flow too much. I am never going to be happy with my sump as the gaps at the bottom of the glass baffles are not big enough and this reduces the overall water flow. Gutted about it but nothing i can do unless i want to strip the whole sump out and start again. It's really annoying as i did not stipulate to the people who made the sump how big to leave the gaps under the baffles, i assumed this would have been a standard size as i was not asked what size gap i wanted. Annoyed does not cover it really!! My first chamber can get close to overflowing if i don't keep a close eye on it. Actually it has overflowed twice in 2 years.
QUOTE=T1KARMANN;6957854]My sump is setup like a normal sump it's setup like a giant canister filter as I had such good results using canisters on my old tank

Sump is full to about 18"
Drains from main tank
First section 3 layers of jap mat then water goes under a glass
Then 6 layers of jap mat topped with a thick sheet of white filter floss the water then goes over a glass after passing all of that
Then passes throw about 40l of eheim efimech then goes under a glass
Then about 60l of eheim sub pro
Then up and over a few glasses that are are close to each other that have heaters and ph redox probes
Then to return pumps

It works fine just you know what it's like summer I like to play with the tank and try something new

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app[/QUOTE]

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
As said above.
I do not think water fall is critical if you have other means to oxygenate the water..
Exactly. Not sure if it's necessary if your return pump has enough flow. Maybe even use a spray bar.

Truthfully my sump don't water fall because water seeks it's own level and the water level in my sump compartments are all the same. That is
until filters plug up, then I know to start cleaning

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Exactly the above. My issue exactly. Water finds it own level untill....

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
You must be rinsing lots of jap mat if that is all there is to trap the big particles. Why not filter socks and then jap mat? I have big sumps and no waterfall effect in any chamber and it still works really good, probably couldn't ask for better except for maybe a machine that would change the socks for me! LOL
I have the first chamber where the water drains to with 3 x 24" long by 10" wide by 3" thick sheets of jap mat that are washed monthly

The next chamber has 6 sheets of jap mat 14" wide 24" long by 3" thick
They are set up like this

http://youtu.be/btzhrms4h9Q

I only need to wash the fist 3 mats which act like filter socks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Not sure why I'm messing with it as it stay more clear than most tanks I see

But we like to mess with things

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406923444.214695.jpg

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Interesting thread.
I find we talk about sumps far too little, i've never been happy with any of mine, i just cant find a design that works well for mechanical filtration, for instance T1 in your sump how do you remove your first chambers jap matting without all the poo dripping off back into the water?
In which case youve just caught all the debris and then it's fell back into the sump to be pumped all around the tank making it cloudy.
My middle chamber containing my bio media is caked with crap.
I too find the jap matting cloggs quickly but at the same time far less than other materials, especially filter socks which have been washed.
I've thought for future reference i want some sort of floating bucket container that is stacked with mechanical and water merely trickles through it but it's not submerged - this way i can just remove the container, wash everything and install it back but as it's not submerged the muck won't seep into the water.

Also, what's the relevance in that video where they put like legs between each sheet of jap matting.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I turn off all the pumps drain the water from that compartment then drain any dirt wash the jap mats and refill and turn pumps back on I only do it once per month so no big deal

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi bonesb66. I tried plastic boxes with holes drilled and filled with filter floss. The plastic boxes became so heavy and water logged with crap so quickly they fell down into the water with the weight and broke a glass shelf that was retaining them! If i had my time again i would design my sump differently, mainly a lot shorter in hieght to give more space between the top of the sump and the bottom of the main tank. I would have more options to try different things then. But i am stuck with what i have so have to make the best of it. Frustrating when you pay these profesional firms big money to build your sumps and tanks. I assumed (wrongly) they would point out any flaws in a sump design when building it for me, the customer.
Interesting thread.
I find we talk about sumps far too little, i've never been happy with any of mine, i just cant find a design that works well for mechanical filtration, for instance T1 in your sump how do you remove your first chambers jap matting without all the poo dripping off back into the water?
In which case youve just caught all the debris and then it's fell back into the sump to be pumped all around the tank making it cloudy.
My middle chamber containing my bio media is caked with crap.
I too find the jap matting cloggs quickly but at the same time far less than other materials, especially filter socks which have been washed.
I've thought for future reference i want some sort of floating bucket container that is stacked with mechanical and water merely trickles through it but it's not submerged - this way i can just remove the container, wash everything and install it back but as it's not submerged the muck won't seep into the water.

Also, what's the relevance in that video where they put like legs between each sheet of jap matting.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm not that happy with the sump nd made me it works but not the way it's meant to the fain is to high

The flow on mine is fine as I pump 66.000 lph and it's never over flowed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store