Sump problem *don't use Luffas*

donk232

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2011
fl
So... Don't use luffas as a alternative to bioballs! Sure they have held up for a few years but they are deteriorating and getting into the tank.

I first noticed some white specs in the water, tested my parameters and everything was fine, but as time went on the problem worsened, eventually I figured it out. I'm in the process of trying to take them out but they disintegrate when touched mixing tiny pieces in the rest of the filter median, the tank and anywhere else difficult to clean. Now Im not sure if the tiny particles are dangerous to my fish(they act normal) It will certainly stress the bioload trying to clean and remove half my biological filtration.

Fortunately a good portion of my sump is filled with pot scrubbies which seem to be holding up fine but even they are one hell of a mess from the luffas.
In the pics you can see the dust covering everything from stirring up a single sump chamber... I have multiple chambers and these pictures are just the tip of the iceberg.

20160729_110546.jpg

20160728_092229.jpg

20160728_091936.jpg

donk232

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2011
fl
Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with in the sump, this is not a clump of luffas but a powder/mud like consistency of what used to be luffas. And a pic of a solid piece of what is left of them

20160729_112357.jpg

20160729_112727.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Canoeist

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
oh my god dude hahaha I'm sorry but that's outrageous, funny and horrible. water changes water changes water changes.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You need to add polyfill for mechanical filtration to pick up those fine particles floating around.

donk232

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2011
fl
You need to add polyfill for mechanical filtration to pick up those fine particles floating around.
Yeah I didn't come up with any brilliant ideas to catch that mess before going into the tank, I have socks over the return rn. But the tank is already super full of all that mess.

donk232

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2011
fl
The tank is disgusting at the moment. I think the sump is cleaner (until the tank water get to it). Fish still seem fine. My new plan is the first chamber will be coarse mechanical then the 2nd chamber will be filter fiber, rather then just one section for mechanical. then 3rd and 4th chamber will be the pot scrubbies with the pump in the 4th/ last chamber. Just hoping I can get it all under control within a couple days of water changes :(

donk232

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2011
fl
small update. after a few water changes I have most of the mess under control, fish have seemed fine throughout the process. i put 60 more pot scrubber in to replace lost median, but i have more volume to fill eventually. i currently have a whole large chamber of polyfiber and will likely keep that section and replace it as needed. the first small section will get a more spongy and coarse mechanical filter since the poly gets clogged much easier in the smaller section. the pot scrubbers come after i moved them over so there is ample polyfiber before the scrubbies. flow is right to left

*looking for ideas/suggestions. Open to plants or algae/turf scrubber
20160730_122825.jpg

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Not OP but as i understand it the loofah even after fully decomposed still looked in perfect shape in the relatively undisturbed sump. And as soon as you touch it it disintegrates into mush, like how scrolls may stay intact in ancient tomb for centuries but crumble at the slightest of a breeze.

This however does seemingly make loofah a good shrimp tank decor, as it provides great grazing surface, additional food as it decomposes, as well as hiding place for shrimplets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store