Sump Question

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hey guys I'm new to sumps and big ass tanks in general, so I had a question. I bought a used 240 gallon tank it came with a 55 gallon sump and wanted to ask you guys what type of setup is it rigged to run? It looks like a wet dry system or trickle system but I'm not too sure. Any mods I can do to make it better or is it good as is? Please help me understand how this sump works, thank you guys in advance.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Are those acrylic baffles? if so I would change them out for glass. Personally I would do mechanical in the first section and submerged in the second. In the third chamber I would add a bubble trap

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
image.jpeg

Here is a picture of the 55 I am using as my sump. The first chamber will have mechanical filtration on top, followed by ceramic rings on the bottom part of it. Then the middle will be a refugium area that I think I am going to house some shrimp in. The middle will also have the heaters. The last chamber will house the return pumps.

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
View attachment 1195738

Here is a picture of the 55 I am using as my sump. The first chamber will have mechanical filtration on top, followed by ceramic rings on the bottom part of it. Then the middle will be a refugium area that I think I am going to house some shrimp in. The middle will also have the heaters. The last chamber will house the return pumps.
Nice! What size tank is that Sump for?

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
Are those acrylic baffles? if so I would change them out for glass. Personally I would do mechanical in the first section and submerged in the second. In the third chamber I would add a bubble trap
Yes acrylic, thin acrylic at that.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Nice! What size tank is that Sump for?
It's going under my 220. My baffles are 1/4" plexiglass. The only glass available in my area was super thin, I think 3/32", so less than 1/8". I found that the plexiglass works well enough for baffles. I can pick up each end of the tank by the baffles, I could probably carry it by them, but I'm not going to press my luck. Lol

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's going under my 220. My baffles are 1/4" plexiglass. The only glass available in my area was super thin, I think 3/32", so less than 1/8". I found that the plexiglass works well enough for baffles. I can pick up each end of the tank by the baffles, I could probably carry it by them, but I'm not going to press my luck. Lol
I know of a local place where I can get Acrylic pieces cut to whatever size, I might end up going with that and redoing my sump. I might do it like yours there looks simple and sounds like it will be effective for a 240 gallon.

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
Now the plumbing is what's confusing me. My tank was previously drilled on the bottom. Here is an atta he'd picture of the stand, the tank has the same holes but to make the holes easy to see I posted the stand. Can any one point me the right directions on how to do the plumbing ?

20160728_163928.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store