Sump vs cannister for 125g

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
IMAG0138.jpgIMAG0140.jpgIMAG0141.jpgIMAG0142.jpg

Okay here are the pictures. There are 4 bottom holes, 2 in each overflow. Two back holes with one having piping attached and one not. I think it could use a reseal as well since the edges of the side silicone are messy and peeling a tad. Bottom looks good. The tank is incredibly messy right now. I have zero clue how to set up a sump for this, so suggestions welcome. The bottom 4 are about 55 inches apart so a 55g would not be long enough. Help!

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
If you are going threw the troble to clean it take a few extra days an re seal the tank just the i side seal. Just a quick question before I give ya some ideas. What is the hight of the stand? I would go with a split sump with 2 smaller pumps going to each return.

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Stand is 30" tall, split sump would be two smaller tanks one per side? What size tanks for those? I will probably reseal it since I can't check to see if it holds water without piping it and I would need to be on a stand at that point anyway

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
With two drilled holes in each overflow you have options for Herbie or even Beananimal approach. Meaning, you can have 2 full siphon, with the remaining two a trickle or complete dry stand-by pipe. This should help with any potential water noise too.

I was thinking the holes on the back side were likely use for the returns? I do notice that they are not centered on the tank, but that's not a requirement for return plumbing.

Celestialsins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Florida
Okay so a durso standpipe on the outside holes on both sides? It may be more like 51 inches instead of 48, the overflows start about 9 inches from the end and the outside holes are a tad farther out and smaller. The two inner holes definitely fit within 48 inches. The diameters are 1.5 and 1.75 I think. I also have zero clue about the actual piping, is there a good diagram for how things connect with what pieces and valves?

One of the back holes is centered the other is not. I have zero idea about any of this haha so I am unsure what they were used for before.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I do believe that in the overflow was a durso's with a safety in each would be the way to go and use the 2 drilled holes in the back side of the tank for return. Just use hose for the safety no need to hard line as for the return make sure to have check valves and they could be hose as well only hard line would be full syphon makes installation a lot easier

amartin311

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Indianapolis,In
+1 on suggestions for using a sump. I would want to put the overflows to good use and not just have them in there with no function.

I have had the best luck with Herbie overflows in a tank like that, but Durso work well also.

One piece of advice on plumbing. Use good gate valves, they help regulate better than ball valves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store