sump/wetdry output

revival

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
In a dream
I been thinking about setups and trying to get ideas for the output return back into the tank. Im thinking about having my tank drilled once i buy it to get a cleaner look and trying to figure out what my options would be besides a PVC pipe back into the tank? What are my options as far as the return flow? Sorry if this is a stupid question, im new to sumps and trying to plan everything out before i make any mistakes. Thanks in advance.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
Well, you need to decide whether you are going to put your filtration below the tank or above.

I've seen some really creative filtration ideas in this forum that demonstrate an overhead filter. The pump is located in the tank and pumps water into the filter and then gravity returns it to the tank.

The more conventional placement is below the tank. I'm personally a fan of this. It's easier to hide the filtration away, and with proper planning, can be totally safe in the event of a power outage. In doing so, you are limited in your options to return to the tank. Usually, it is pvc tubing that either goes up into overflow and returns that way or extends back over the top to return the water to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store