Sun Sun info?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I bought one on a whim as well, for my 120.

It's underpowered for my 120 for sure, but it is quiet and leak free.

Wondering if they'll make a bigger one... don't have the space for 2 canisters, only 1 larger one.
Do you have the 304B? That's their largest (rated at 500gph)

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Thanks for all of the replies. I currently run an Aquatop CF-400UV on my 90 and my only issue with it is after cleaning it putting the lid back on the canister is a PITA. I think I will be picking up the 304B UV and running both filters on my 90

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks for all of the replies. I currently run an Aquatop CF-400UV on my 90 and my only issue with it is after cleaning it putting the lid back on the canister is a PITA. I think I will be picking up the 304B UV and running both filters on my 90
You do realize that the Aquatop canisters are just a North American rebrand of Sunsun? There the same exact product in a different packaging.

If the lid is hard to put on, it most likely means your baskets aren't seated properly. When you seat the basket, wiggle it side to side and you should feel it when it seats properly. I own 3 of these in 2 different size models and don't have any difficulty when reinstalling the lid.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
You do realize that the Aquatop canisters are just a North American rebrand of Sunsun? There the same exact product in a different packaging.

If the lid is hard to put on, it most likely means your baskets aren't seated properly. When you seat the basket, wiggle it side to side and you should feel it when it seats properly. I own 3 of these in 2 different size models and don't have any difficulty when reinstalling the lid.
Yeah I did notice that I actually thought at first Aquatop was bought out by SunSun. Haven't really looked at what the Aquatops are running currently but back when I got the cf-400 three years it was barely over the $100 mark. I do want to try the cheaper SunSun since the wallet will appreciate it more. As for the lid about a year into owning it the bottom tray handle broke and I have been unable to remove the bottom tray. I believe it is still in the proper position but I will try to push it down more and maybe that will help.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia

Yeah I did notice that I actually thought at first Aquatop was bought out by SunSun. Haven't really looked at what the Aquatops are running currently but back when I got the cf-400 three years it was barely over the $100 mark. I do want to try the cheaper SunSun since the wallet will appreciate it more. As for the lid about a year into owning it the bottom tray handle broke and I have been unable to remove the bottom tray. I believe it is still in the proper position but I will try to push it down more and maybe that will help.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I own one as well, 304b and it works great. Only issue I would say is they are underpowered but I normally run several filters anyway.
Great product for the price though, will be looking into another pretty soon.

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
hmmm i've been looking into this as well and let me know if this is a fair assessment of these filters:
- good price and a lot of features for what you get
- potential for it to be under powered. honestly if the top of the line is rated at 500 gph it should be good for a 150 gallon aquarium no problem. seems however that you may need multiple filters? once you factor that in... would it be better to just go for an FX5 or something? you just need to run one and it'll definitely be good for a 150 gallon (just to cite an example)

comments?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I have the biggest one and the second biggest one on my 180 gal and they work well and the two cost about half that of a fx5, yes turn over is not as good as stated but not to bad, and i have loads more media volume than 1 fx5 which i think is more important.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store