SunSun 303B Unboxing and Setup

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Well, an update after about 36 hours. My water is honestly clearer than it has ever been. I am extremely pleased so far.

Again, my only complaint is the flow rate. It works well for me because I had read reviews about the flow rate before ordering one, so I ordered a model that was "oversized" for my 29. I think it worked out perfectly and is probably turning the tank over about 8X an hour. I still didn't get the largest model so there is still room for a higher flow rate for those with a bit larger tanks. I would guess that the largest model could probably handle a 90 gallon on its own, if a large turnover rate is not needed. It would probably take at least two to run a 125 though, and I would recommend four for a 220.

I know that there was somebody on here that posted about a mod they used to get rid of the UV light and tube. I'm not sure who it was though. It cannot be left off because the tube has orings that seal the water out of the motor/head.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
anyone have a link to the mod for getting rid of the UV in sunsun filters? I have one with a broken glass tube that houes the uv light, would be interested to see the mod

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
You may be able to get better/more flow if you shorten the return and outlet hoses. You always want them as short as possible. Less resistance equaling more efficient flow. Just a thought. Congratulations on the new filter.

Well, an update after about 36 hours. My water is honestly clearer than it has ever been. I am extremely pleased so far.

Again, my only complaint is the flow rate. It works well for me because I had read reviews about the flow rate before ordering one, so I ordered a model that was "oversized" for my 29. I think it worked out perfectly and is probably turning the tank over about 8X an hour. I still didn't get the largest model so there is still room for a higher flow rate for those with a bit larger tanks. I would guess that the largest model could probably handle a 90 gallon on its own, if a large turnover rate is not needed. It would probably take at least two to run a 125 though, and I would recommend four for a 220.

I know that there was somebody on here that posted about a mod they used to get rid of the UV light and tube. I'm not sure who it was though. It cannot be left off because the tube has orings that seal the water out of the motor/head.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Well, here's another update for the first cleaning. It's only been running two weeks but I wanted to go ahead and see how it's doing internally.

image.jpeg
Here is a picture of the filter with the head taken off. I put the hose ends in a 5 gal bucket as a "just in case" measure but surprisingly the valves worked very well. This is one of the reasons I left the hoses a bit long. I can pull the filter completely out of the stand before I have to disconnect it.

image.jpeg
Here are all of the baskets removed and the media/pads rinsed out. I did notice that with the larger area the flow on the bottom isn't enough to really embed much of the solid waste into the sponge. Instead, most of it just settles in the bottom of the canister but is easily rinsed out.

All in all, very easy to disassemble and clean out. Just be ready with some towels because there is no way to avoid some leaking from the head and from the baskets once they're removed. Pretty much the same stuff you would see with any canister filter.

Also, it had some detritus in the bottom but was definitely not that dirty. Based on my setup and what I saw in it today, I could probably easily run it two months at a time without opening it up for cleaning. I doubt I will though.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have cleaned the filter out once more since the last time I updated. It went very well and continues to function well. To my knowledge, we have not had any kind of extreme rise in our electric bill.

I would still highly recommend this filter at this point. It has been extremely good for me so far.

Reactions: Fishy-Botany

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
As an owner of 3 of these.... 2x304B, 1x 404B

Want more "flow".....

Dump the spraybar, it's NOT NEEDED(SPRAYBARS ARE EXTREMELY OVERRATED). Just use the U-Tube "elbow" , and direct it in the direction you want. Makes a HUGE difference in FLOW.

GRANTED,I DO ALSO have 2- 400GPH HOB filters to further break the aquarium's surface tension, PLUS a COBALT EXT with 400gal worth of PURIGEN ONLY(all on a 75gal with a 10 inch male midevil / 7 inch female midas breeding pair).

YMMV...BUT SHOULDN'T in this particular case...

IMG_2425.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store