Super aggressive Freshwater Dolphin fish (Mormyrid)

Jjiang00

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
So it seems like the dolphin fish in particular, is especially aggressive and it isn't just the personality of my pet, along with them having a high metabolism and needing to be fed constantly like the african arowana. Here's a quote from one of the limited number of posts made on dolphin fish. He's kept many mormyrids, and for the most part they seem shy, but it's the dolphin fish ( mormyrus longirostris, caballus, etc...) that are pretty hostile. Maybe just like how most species of arowana are peaceful, but jardinis will harass if not kept alone for the most part.

"They eat a surprising amount and seem to need a regular supply of food available or they start to get skinny. I used to feed frozen foods (bloodworms, mysis, finely chopped shrimp) twice a day and also dump in a bunch live blackworms that would burrow in the sand so they could forage throughout the day. Mine never ate any prepared/dry foods. They were reasonably aggressive eaters once they’d settled in but didn’t compete for food very well with other fish. Despite being a bit shy, they also didn’t seem to like tankmates and harassed them quite a bit. The dolphin in particular was constantly bothering other fish."

Here's the original thread the quote was taken from: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...rid-my-dream-fish-advice.734476/#post-8279604

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
So it seems like the dolphin fish in particular, is especially aggressive and it isn't just the personality of my pet, along with them having a high metabolism and needing to be fed constantly like the african arowana. Here's a quote from one of the limited number of posts made on dolphin fish. He's kept many mormyrids, and for the most part they seem shy, but it's the dolphin fish ( mormyrus longirostris, caballus, etc...) that are pretty hostile. Maybe just like how most species of arowana are peaceful, but jardinis will harass if not kept alone for the most part.

"They eat a surprising amount and seem to need a regular supply of food available or they start to get skinny. I used to feed frozen foods (bloodworms, mysis, finely chopped shrimp) twice a day and also dump in a bunch live blackworms that would burrow in the sand so they could forage throughout the day. Mine never ate any prepared/dry foods. They were reasonably aggressive eaters once they’d settled in but didn’t compete for food very well with other fish. Despite being a bit shy, they also didn’t seem to like tankmates and harassed them quite a bit. The dolphin in particular was constantly bothering other fish."

Here's the original thread the quote was taken from: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...rid-my-dream-fish-advice.734476/#post-8279604
I’m so jealous of this fish. I’ve kept them before while younger but they’ve always been so hard to keep alive.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
For anybody interested, here’s a mini documentary on a species of mormyrid that hunts african cichlids in packs and communicate with eachother via electrical signals. They don’t look as much like dolphins as some other species, but the way they communicate with eachother and hunt in packs definitely resembles dolphins! I believe this is the cornish jack hendre was talking about.

Aren't these cornish jacks?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Temperature?
My tanks aren't heated & the air's getting down to 17C in recent overnight storms, back up into the 20s with the sunrise. Nobody seems to be suffering, not even in the lilypond.

The importer's got these, apparently; I'd have to do another wall-build to get the space, which would be a fairly low-bar for the bucketlist fish and one somewhat more mates-flexible than a fahaka puffer (another bucket-list'er currently on the importer's list)

Thoughts on large (clown, Y.modesta & green-tiger) loach compatibility? IE: Also relatively smart with no teeth...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store