Suppliers selling LIES

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So sorry for the mix up! It's late, lol. But yeah I've looked at some of the links now

The Columbian shark was being sold as a 'black finned shark' that doesnt grow past 8 inches

The Iridescent shark was being sold with the 'only gets to 11" and can be housed in a 10 gal'
No biggie and as for the seller in question,shame on them for providing such horrible information.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you think this is bad then never visit the fish section at Walmart. Also yeah ,+1 what esoxlucius said. It’s a sad fact that most of us will have to learn to accept. The only way to change it would be to boycott fish stores and anything fish related as to put the pressure on the people selling fish but it probably won’t ever happen. Until that day happens (if it happens) we’ll have to accept that our lfs will put out bad information or go online to buy fish from people we trust. Those people who have lfs ran by people who do it out of the love for fish and would rather give out correct information then lose a sale are lucky.
Does anyone object with what I said or have anything to add or change?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Walmart marketing to bring in more revenue regardless of life. Imo they can care less about the fish. It's very obvious because the Walmart in my area had fish in deplorable conditions also. I personally thought to myself save them all.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Walmart marketing to bring in more revenue regardless of life. Imo they can care less about the fish. It's very obvious because the Walmart in my area had fish in deplorable conditions also. I personally thought to myself save them all.
I have heard this multiple times. It's a common feature for big chain shops to go for quantity of sales over quality of service. I personally either by my fish from private breeders or responsible shops where possible. Shame to hear about the fish though, it's a shame that we can't do much.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’m pretty sure Walmart just orders fish, tosses them in tanks and waits for them to die or sell.
It breaks my heart seeing a dozen oscars at only 2” with hith, rotting fins, all crammed into one tiny tank.

I’m also guilty of buying Walmart fish. They have such a low survival rate. When buying a group I only have a success rate of 1 in 3. That’s how sickly they are.
I have zero losses from other stores/pet shops. Even if a fish happens to be sick or have parasites I’m able to save them. But Walmart fish? They are almost always too far gone:( I try not to even look at them any more.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
With my Walmart the fish are never sick, just in bad shape. If you can get them to keep eating and give them clean water then they have a very high chance of living. It’s probably uncommon for most Walmart’s but I guess I’m a bit lucky. I got my big Synodontis eupterus from them.

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The main problem with Walmart fish, is that the people taking care of the fish usually have no idea what they are doing themselves. I am part-timing at Petco at the moment, and nobody there knows much either. They all defer to me, and I get lots of people coming in talking about the awful advice they were given by another employee. It really is unfortunate.
I have asked the manager to stop carrying iridescent sharks, she agreed, but they continue to come in. I think she is too lazy to change the order.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
One has to ponder whether or not walmart is actually making any revenue off of selling a $4 fish here and there.

Tbh the display tank at my walmart appears to be well maintained and has some nice looking goldfish, but the tanks are small and crammed full. I cant imagine many of those fish go to good homes though, but perhaps im hasty to judge the average walmart customer.

Reactions: Wyvlen

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
With my Walmart the fish are never sick, just in bad shape. If you can get them to keep eating and give them clean water then they have a very high chance of living. It’s probably uncommon for most Walmart’s but I guess I’m a bit lucky. I got my big Synodontis eupterus from them.
You are lucky then. The ones I’ve gotten usually are over come by bacteria and fungal infections and die within a day or two. My guess is the stress from being netted (that’s another story) and moved is too much for their already weakened state.
I still have some Walmart fish. One rainbow fish and a gsp. Also a couple nitrate snails. I love those guys. Hey, that’s something that’s never died from Walmart. Snails! Lol they should stick to selling snails, but no fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store