Suriname Hoplias Curupira

younggalaxy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2012
Canada
Hey Guys I feel kinda proud to see that the wolf fish is appreciated over there. I'm from Suriname and here this fish is just seen as a food source.
Funny how we fishkeeprs are. You guys import these fish and I geuss pay alot of $$$. And I bought a imported baby gator gar for $250 on this side of the planet.
What's the price for one of these guys over there?
About a 10"-12" Curupira goes for $200 here in Canadian dollars from a distributor and x2 or 3 if retail.
I've seen 5"-6" for $100 and that was the cheapest I've seen around in a few years.

I bet you see some of the Hoplias species that the rest of us don't get to see..

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
Damn, I really hoped that it would work long term. Do you think it was just an issue of food or were they showing signs of real aggression?

I'd throw the Vulture in, if it was me- I'd be surprised if there was any issue with that one. On the Umbee- There's one for sale locally that I'm considering as I've always fancied a big Umbee. not sure how the Bass would react, though...

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
I had a umbee, it was a total freak had to sell him....Never bothered the bichirs but it did not like a fish, it would contantly nag the **** out of it untill i remove it or it die...But Gluck with yo fish bro :D

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Update... Last night the Umbee was added (temp obvious... till his aggression is to much:headbang2)
Tonight the Vulture goes in:naughty:
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Good, Thanks for asking. Umbee is likely still in his child years as he is not aggressive but very passive towards all tankmates.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Good, Thanks for asking. Umbee is likely still in his child years as he is not aggressive but very passive towards all tankmates.
Keep an eye on that lil booger, Big Dog. Mine took out an Exodon on the 2nd day... I was worry the Exodon might pick on him, but he turned the table fast! :D

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
I think its also possible that the armatus puts a fang through the umbee... or is that just me?

Sweet combination though West... love this set-up especially with the curupira.

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
Good to hear. I didn't go for the Umbee in the end as I think the combination of Cichla and Umbee is an accident waiting to happen, never mind the others but if it's working at the moment, that's good news. Did you add the Vulture?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store