Synodontis ID: resembles S. ocifeller

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Found this guy mislabeled today as a common S.nigriventris and couldn't resist picking him up. About 1.25 to 1.5" Currently housed in an 80g tank.

I'm by NO means well-educated on Synodontis species beyond the common stuff like feather fins, petricola, etc but my best searching tells me this might be S. ocifeller.

1000005009.jpg

1000005010.jpg

1000005011.jpg

1000005007.jpg

1000005008.jpg

Morti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
Can't help with a confirmed Id but thats a nice looking synodontis. We have an ocifeller but it's has far fewer spots and I can't remember what it looked like when the size yours is now, as it was nearly 30 years ago. It has been a model citizen and a really nice species to keep.

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Can't help with a confirmed Id but thats a nice looking synodontis. We have an ocifeller but it's has far fewer spots and I can't remember what it looked like when the size yours is now, as it was nearly 30 years ago. It has been a model citizen and a really nice species to keep.
You have a 30 year old Syno? Nice!

How big did yours get?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Based on this photo from the PCF: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=synodontis_ocellifer&image_id=4085 you may be correct. I just don't know the age / size of the fish on the PCF. Yours is still tiny and may or may not change heavily as it grows.

Between that photo and your fish everything looks consistent except yours has bigger eyes and shorter-looking snout. The spotting may be variable of course.

If you needed to be sure, I'd recommend posting on the PCF.

Morti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
You have a 30 year old Syno? Nice!

How big did yours get?
It's about 8 inches I think and looks identical to the photo labelled "close up of head" on pcf's ocellifer page.

It's not the only old synodontis I have, I also have one thats the same age but an unknown (well unknown to me) species. I think they are just long lived fish because I've only ever owned three and one was rehomed, a eupterus, because it was a jerk.

I also have some clown loaches I bought in 1994 in there and the one that amazes me most is my brothers botia striata that he got in 1997.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store