synspila X parrot spawn!

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
OMG, that's one gorgeous female! The first one's pretty cool too, if I get something like that I'd be very happy!
I think U will get something Similar if you get a fader. Mom is a fader so 50% chance and U have 150-200 of them. It's just gonna be a long time to grow them up to fading.. But I see it happening. I can see you have many of nice ones.

I hope to see you breed the offsprings to know if they are fertile too

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
I think U will get something Similar if you get a fader. Mom is a fader so 50% chance and U have 150-200 of them. It's just gonna be a long time to grow them up to fading.. But I see it happening. I can see you have many of nice ones.

I hope to see you breed the offsprings to know if they are fertile too
More like 200-300 of them, lol!
And yes, I very much want to test the males for fertility, and of course I have plans for the females too. As of right now the plan is to back cross a female to syn, if the males are fertile, I also want to do sibling X sibling. I've been told more than once that syn X parrot males aren't fertile...I don't think I believe that 100%, too many people trying to keep hybrid breeding secrets so you have to buy their fish, instead of making your own.
Parrots carry syn blood, from what I can figure they're at least half syn, so a syn X parrot fry should be 75% syn...even if parrots were only one quarter syn blood, that would still make syn X parrot fry 62.5% syn blood...most male hybrids are fertile at that percentage of purity. I've seen threads on other forums where someone crossed a syn to an unfaded RT, and the F1 male offspring were fertile. I just can't believe it's all that different with other types of syn crosses.

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
I've taken the mother from the fry, she's been gone for almost 48 hrs now, the fry are doing very well without her. I've noticed some differences in the fry already. Like there seems to be a lot of sb of varying length, their spines are quite clearly different from normal siblings. There are three (or more) types of dwarfism that I know of in hybrid fish, the majority of my sb fry seem to be the shortened (yet still straight) fused spine type, not the wavey or crumpled spine type...I suppose there are some crooked ones I just haven't seen, but there are very definitely large numbers of the straight/fused variety. The shortened/fused spine type has an odd angle to the spine as well, making it appear to have a slight upward curve, the most extreme of this type will end up a true "balloon belly", the longer ones will have a really nice (almost fh) body type. Don't know if I have a camera that will capture what I'm talking about but I'll try.

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
Very cool, Im excited to see the different fry you end up with from this pair. I spawned my male synspilium to a female unfaded red texas and a lot of the fry had colors that were so incredible. Keep the updates coming.

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
Very cool, Im excited to see the different fry you end up with from this pair. I spawned my male synspilium to a female unfaded red texas and a lot of the fry had colors that were so incredible. Keep the updates coming.
I've seen accounts of people doing exactly that cross and ending up with fertile males.

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
The fry are 1/2-3/4 inch now, there seems to be alot of different types, many are shortbody. Got a few pics with my brothers phone, not that great, but you get the idea...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store