tahitian moon sand... good or bad?

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Either with all white or all black Tahitian moon sand, it will be very easy to see all the debris thats there laying on top of it, i would probably go with pool filter sand, its has a few tones of slightly different coloration, so it blends in and you won't see all the debris laying around which would make your tank look dirty. Also the pool sand is waaaay cheaper.

solchitlins

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Milford, MI 48381
The black TMS is Slag, meaning it's the by-product of smelting ore to purify metals, therefore it "could" contain inpurities such as heavy metals.

It is also sharp and can irritate fish.

In my opinion it is a garbage product that I don't think we should recommend in this hobby.

I wish stores would quit selling it. Plus considering what I just said why is it so expensive???

TMS is best used to fill large out door ashtrays.

Shaina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
USA
solchitlins;2537254; said:
The black TMS is Slag, meaning it's the by-product of smelting ore to purify metals, therefore it "could" contain inpurities such as heavy metals.

It is also sharp and can irritate fish.

In my opinion it is a garbage product that I don't think we should recommend in this hobby.

I wish stores would quit selling it. Plus considering what I just said why is it so expensive???
I did not realize that...I must have had a "good" batch then since I keep invertibrates in that tank without trouble. I had heard the impurity risk about some products ("black beauty" was one I believe), but not TMS. I agree on the price though, lol. I doubt I would buy it again for that reason alone...doubly so if the impurity risk is true.

But since the OP is concerned with the white - do you know where that originates?

solchitlins

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Milford, MI 48381
No I have only used the black, before I knew what it was and thought they shipped this stuff from some exotic Tahitian beach.

It seemed to work ok for my African cichlids too but when I moved I decided to chuck it.

It just pisses me off that it's being marketed to us for our fish at such a high price when its SLAG!

The 3m colorquartz is a much better product.

LisaH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Las Vegas
I love the look of my white sand. Yes, its a pain to keep clean but I think its worth it. This tank is the future home of my discus I'm growing out. I can't use dark colors in a discus tank. I don't want my pigon blood and my red mellon to pepper up.
The sand I have in there is pure white Colorquartz 3m T-grade. It is heavy like pool filter sand and does not vac up. I payed $22 for a 50 lb bag.

dec 034444.JPG

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
LisaH;2537306; said:
I love the look of my white sand. Yes, its a pain to keep clean but I think its worth it. This tank is the future home of my discus I'm growing out. I can't use dark colors in a discus tank. I don't want my pigon blood and my red mellon to pepper up.
The sand I have in there is pure white Colorquartz 3m T-grade. It is heavy like pool filter sand and does not vac up. I payed $22 for a 50 lb bag.
Does it compact? BTW, I think I saw a loach in there :D

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
chesterthehero;2536966; said:
same stuff.. theres a few companies that make it.. all the same stuff.. also comes in tan, mixed and i want to say a light red/orange color as well

pool supply stores sell pool supplies all year round.. largest one in the US is leslies

yeah i have lots of leslies pool supplies in las vegas so i might check them out.. do you know what brand you used? also thier websight doesnt show that they sell it... unless i am searching wrong..:nilly:

LisaH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Las Vegas
Hey neighbor :)

I just went out to my garage and looked at my bag of pool sand.
It says...
Lestlie's Swimming Pool Supplies
Filter Sand
Step 5 Enhance
20-grade Sand

I bought mine at the Lestlie's at Craig and MLK for $9 for a 50 lb bag.

It's more of a natural sand/tan color

fishlover88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Aurora, CO
i have the black in my ten gallon. i used to say that i would never do it in a larger tank. but now that i have used it for over a year and figured out the tricks. I'm hoping to change out the substrate in my 75 and use the cool red sand from 3m

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store