Tank leaked 50 gallons on carpet smell is bad

bayou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
louisiana
Last night I got home and my fish tank was almost empty don't know where the water leak from but out of my tank only had one qtr of water left. I pull down the whole tank drain the water move the fish pulled up carpet out of the living room how do I get the smell out of the living room

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bayou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
louisiana
Should I look/post in another location?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Had the same experience some years ago. I was lucky in that the carpet was not wall to wall and had no pad under it. My hardwod floor dried but had a permanent discoloration. You do not mention the type of flooring or if there is carpet padding. The carpet padding will need to be removed and likely discarded if it is still in place. It can take some days/weeks for the floor to dry well, perhaps longer if the tank had leaked over time and the wood got staurated. I just did not have a rug of any kind in that room for some years. I believe there are moisture meters that can be had to check the moisture content.

The smell is likely a combination of fish water and the stuff that find it's way into carpet over time. I worked for a carpet place in the 1970's and had the displeasure to remove flooded carpet for a time after high water. Some folks thought they could dry out their carpet without pulling it up. You could often tell when entering a house that as not thoroughly cleaned years later. One woman did not remove the wet insulation from the walls of her flooded house and some years later after she died the house had to be torn down due to the extensive mold.

I not longer consider having a tank on carpet at all. Even if there is not a major leak, there will be small spills and minor leaks over time. My current house has wall to wall carpet. I removed it from the area where my tanks sit and put down some vinyl tiles. My point of view now is that a tank on carpet is going to be a bad outcome.

Is that you in the avatar? I drove a school bus for some years.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I had that problem before. Pain in the butt to clean up the water and smell. You also have to warch out for mold. It cam grow every where like the walls. What I did was used a shop vac to vacuum up the water from the carpet. You can vacuum the padding underneath the carpet also but I didn't. Then I bought some Damp-Rid and put them around the room. Buy the smaller 2 packs instead of the large buckets. I found that the smaller ones work better and you can put them in different places. Then I waited a day, spread some baking powder all over the carpet. Wait a couple of hours snd use the shop vac again. Repeat daily until the smell is gone and the carpet id dry. Leave the containers of Damp-Rid because they will take care of the moisture on the air that can cause mold. I use them also because it's humid where my tanks are. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jcm707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
Bay Area
same thing happened to me half my 55 gallon spilled through the filter. smell went away after a while

bayou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
louisiana
Thanks for all the replies. My tank is still holding water I believe it was something with the canister filter.. all carpet and padding has been removed the wood is still showing the smell is in the wood.. I have been spraying bleach on it every day since it first happened... I plan on replacing my floor with laminate so future water spills wont be an issue. .

bayou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
louisiana
Also it is me in the buss I have not driven one before I was just being silly my aunt drives one.. I do 3d structure design for a company called www.chouest.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store