Tank Mates for Two Floirda Gars??

hurleyb6930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2013
brighton michigan
i hope its okay that i jump in on this thread with a question of my own since its regarding tank mates for gars. i have a 11 inch Florida and a 15 inch mystery gar either spotted or Florida. anyways what is your guys opinion on a Colombian wolf fish as a tank mate for these two gars? any response would be appreciated! thank you.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
I have a 12" Florida gar in with a 13" male and 8" female jag, they pay no attention to the gar, but from what I understand this is far from normal when mixing big cichlids with gars.here's a picuploadfromtaptalk1396147577803.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Well keep tank mates that are bigger then it. Because when I brought mine it used to nip my fishes fins and killed a few fish. So I suggest keep something big with them. About the stingray I think it will do just fin with these fish but it doesn't have control over its barb so your gars might killed

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Well keep tank mates that are bigger then it. Because when I brought mine it used to nip my fishes fins and killed a few fish. So I suggest keep something big with them. About the stingray I think it will do just fin with these fish but it doesn't have control over its barb so your gars might killed
By the rays barb? I doubt that. Its very rare that rays do "scorpion attacks" :D

byrdman75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2013
STL
hey man, some input, i have a 11" florida with a 5-6" motoro ray, and a 13" clown knife. looking for an arowana to top off my tank. they all do well together, but im having trouble getting mine to eat anything other than feeder fish.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
hey man, some input, i have a 11" florida with a 5-6" motoro ray, and a 13" clown knife. looking for an arowana to top off my tank. they all do well together, but im having trouble getting mine to eat anything other than feeder fish.
It took me a week of no feeders, then my gar started taking silversides, but I have to wiggle them at the surface and make them look like they're alive. He will take an occasional pellet or two now and then at this point

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Gars and aros don't tend to work well as they are both top of tank dwellers, aro will probably bully the gar when it gets around 12" plus. But almost any other large fish do well with gars, I'm going to be keeping a Florida with 3 IT dats and geo chiclids

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store