• Heck no, this is dumb, whats wrong with you Rob

• I like cheese

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
It’s all happening now Chicxulub Chicxulub is back on the scene.
Maybe a contest every 2nd month that can be a tank, a photo or a fish?
It seems like 2 months is enough time to get some entries in and by removing the criteria of either a tank or a photo it doesn’t restrict anyone who wants to try their luck. I always thought photo of the month favours someone with a nice camera as opposed to a crappy old phone.

if a notification could be sent reminding people to enter it might help with the amount of entries too.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I think I had just about got used to the fact that I wasn’t going to win anything on here and the “badges”, “icons” and to be honest “scoring” is all just a bit of fun and doesn’t really mean anything ( thank you esoxlucius esoxlucius for all the counselling), so I am in a good place to say, happy to go with any idea you come up with……. Especially if it brings in more folks and keeps the site going………… after all esox can’t council me for ever and I now use all you guys!

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I always found the Tank of the Month contest a bit limiting since most people only have a few tanks or even just one. It would therefore make sense to reduce the frequency of the competition in order to have more participation per competition. But I think every 3 or 4 months is better than just once a year.

You could also do just one per year and have 4 additional categories corresponding to the most visited subforums:
-Ancient Fish
- Cichlids
- Bottom Dwellers
-Other Monster Fish
But I understand that this would at least require a little more work for the moderator, as he has to check whether the images fit the category.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Happy to oblige Fishman Dave Fishman Dave . Lol.

I admit, all these competitions and awards and such don't mean anything to me whatsoever. But for some, they do. Nothing wrong with that.

If it brings a bit more traffic to the forum and generally raises interest more then I'm all for changes here and there, so I vote yes to whatever.

I'm just glad that Chicxulub Chicxulub is back. Admin are so important to the smooth running of a forum, and we were without for so long.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Recognition is the prize! Do we already have photo of the month? Why can't that be tank or fish and at year-end choose one tank pic and one fish pic? I did not follow the silver/bronze idea with X number of submissions...sorry.

Reactions: deeda and Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Fish of the month, eh? Interesting concept. Y'all discuss that and let's see where it goes.

Ive always thought contests with no prize werent worth having in the first place.

But hey, maybe a contest for a free 550g aquarium? :naughty:
Only have one of those to give away, and I don't want to wait till the end of the year to be rid of it 🤣

Recognition is the prize! Do we already have photo of the month? Why can't that be tank or fish and at year-end choose one tank pic and one fish pic? I did not follow the silver/bronze idea with X number of submissions...sorry.
I may be fiscally comfortable, but not so much so that I'm willing to bankroll physical prizes lol. In the past winners would get stickers and hoodies and whatnot, which may be on the table again as I get things spun back up, but no promises either way.

The awards where I mentioned bronze and silver are the little baubles you see next to people's names. One of the easiest ways to earn one is through the photo contests- they're something small you get for Internet clout at least.

The real purpose is just something fun to do as a community.

And like Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 said above- my mass notifications make all the difference in the world. Look at how much engagement this one post has gotten literally overnight with the vote counts as opposed to what any thread gets without it.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I had been thinking of doing a category based POTM, so the idea of making that its own contest sounds like a good idea to me.
Say it were “characin of the month,” users could email a picture, the fish’s size, age, and species. You’d basically be voting on both the pic itself as well as how well the keeper did getting it to that point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store