Tank reseal and top rim help?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Rimless tanks are the new, popular style in reef keeping, as well as some planted guys. It gives that neat clean look. I am a huge fan of them myself. While I don't own an Elos, Marineland does make rimless cubes, I own the 93 gal version. Not nearly as nice but still great looking.

That said, I do get your point and cant blame you. To make up for the lack of trim they do use thicker glass for two reasons. One is to help with the bowing of the glass, two is so that there is more surface for the silicone to grab onto. Thicker glass means a thicker bead of silicone. So a standard rimmed tank may have a safety factor around 3, many manufacturers build rimless tanks to have a factor over 4 or even higher. Don't ask me how it is calculated, that is above my pay grade lol

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
You say some really silly things... I'm beginning to wonder if you are just a little kid living at home with your parents and that's why you are acting like this and can't build a tank..

You keep reposting things that I say but saying it means something else, Like this all started over a regular standard aquarium that you see everyday and now somehow you turned it in to all about this one Company that's makes their tanks rimless... I never seen where the OP said he had one of these rimless tanks and wanted to reseal it!!!

Then I say I bet you think a 2x4 is stronger then a 4x4 and you start talking about if you put 2 2x4 together it would be stronger.... WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING???? I bet if you put 10 2x4's together it would be stronger as well but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about, Nor does a custom made rimless tank so why are you even talking about it????

I wish I could draw you a picture one here so maybe you could catch up and understand what we are talking about... You see I use the 2x4 and 4x4 comparison to show you a difference, a 4x4 is twice as thick as a 2x4 and the layer of silicone they put inside the tank is twice as thick as the layer they put between the glass!!! So anyone with a brain in their head (but you) would know that thicker layer of silicone is going to hold a lot more then the thin layer will, Just like a 4x4 will hold a lot more then a 2x4 will!!! (JUST 1 2X4 NOT 2!!!)

As for the tank build I gave you a chance to prove me wrong but you know you can't because you are wrong so you try to find any excuse you can think of to get out of it... " I live in 2 bedroom apartment" Really how much room do you need to do it? we could do it with a 10 gallon tank for all I care... I have a 5 bedroom home with a full basement and a 3 car garage but I will still do the build right here in my living room just to make it fair!!!

So now what is the next excuse you don't have a extra $5 to buy a tank off Craigslist?? Here I will make it one better for you if you win the contest I will re-pay you every penny you spent to built the tank!!! That's how sure I am...

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
This is getting out of hand :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-R830C

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Here we go again. Ok, while I have no issues proving you wrong, again, I am really getting fed up with the insults from you. You act like a bully behind your computer screen, yelling when he does not get his way. I have no issues when it comes to a heated discussion, but am tired of you trying to imply that I am an idiot simply because you do not understand the science behind this.

Further, I would appreciate if you would quite trying to discredit me by making me look bad. "I bet you dont even know a 4x4 is stronger than a 2x4!!!!!". That sort of thing is getting old, quick. I have quite a capable brain in my head and am tired of you imply that I dont so you can try to get your point yelled across. Fair enough? Ok, onto the show-

You say some really silly things... I'm beginning to wonder if you are just a little kid living at home with your parents and that's why you are acting like this and can't build a tank..
Acting like what? Proving with real life examples of my point? I do live on my own thank you very much. I have also owned my own home in the past if you really want to know. Divorce can kind of ruin those things if you must know why I no longer have it. If I did I would have no issue proving you wrong.

You keep reposting things that I say but saying it means something else, Like this all started over a regular standard aquarium that you see everyday and now somehow you turned it in to all about this one Company that's makes their tanks rimless... I never seen where the OP said he had one of these rimless tanks and wanted to reseal it!!!
I keep reposting your comments because you keep back tracking. First you were going to build a tank with no silicone between the glass, remember? Then suddenly it is going to include that paper thin layer between the glass. Oddly enough, that same paper thin layer that the whole time I was saying is important. So what was it that you were going to do again? Build a tank exactly like one off the shelf? My god! How would that ever hold?

Hard to say I turned it into all about those. You said it couldn't be done so I posted a tank builder who mass produces them, not even custom order like you are trying to imply. Where did I ever say or even imply that that OP had a rimless tank or an Elos? I didn't once. You wanted an example, I am not able to build one with my current living situation so I found you someone who does. Complicated, I know.

Then I say I bet you think a 2x4 is stronger then a 4x4 and you start talking about if you put 2 2x4 together it would be stronger.... WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING???? I bet if you put 10 2x4's together it would be stronger as well but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about, Nor does a custom made rimless tank so why are you even talking about it????
It has nothing to do with aquariums. I was simply making the observation that 4x4 lumber is crap and you would be dumb to use it in most application. I made the comment that two 2x4's together would be stronger than one 4x4, which is true. It has nothing to do with your comparison which has nothing to do with tank building. No really a 4x4 is stronger than a 2x4. That said you would still be dumb to use it most of the time.

And as I explained above that you probably ignored like usual, Elos are not custom nor do they have to do with OP's tank. I posted them as an example. An example is something used to show another person what you are discussing. In this case, the example is how the silicone between the glass is exactly as wide as the glass and 1/8" thick with none in the corner.

I wish I could draw you a picture one here so maybe you could catch up and understand what we are talking about... You see I use the 2x4 and 4x4 comparison to show you a difference, a 4x4 is twice as thick as a 2x4 and the layer of silicone they put inside the tank is twice as thick as the layer they put between the glass!!! So anyone with a brain in their head (but you) would know that thicker layer of silicone is going to hold a lot more then the thin layer will, Just like a 4x4 will hold a lot more then a 2x4 will!!! (JUST 1 2X4 NOT 2!!!)
I certainly do not need an example, I know what you are trying to say, even if it is not right. Now I do have a question for what you are trying to imply. Are you stating that the bead of silicone should not be as wide as the glass used and the Elos tanks are wider than usual? Or are you trying to state that these tanks have a wider gap between the two panes of glass?

In either case you are wrong. Look at and (glass) tank in your house or in a picture. The silicone between the glass will be exactly the same width as the glass. So if your tank is built out of 5/8" glass, the silicone will be 5/8" wide. Or, if you are implying the gap between the glass would be bigger and thus meaning more silicone, that would actually be a really dumb move. More than 1/8" of silicone between the two pieces of glass will have too much give and may never fully dry. The tank would be unstable.

As for the tank build I gave you a chance to prove me wrong but you know you can't because you are wrong so you try to find any excuse you can think of to get out of it... " I live in 2 bedroom apartment" Really how much room do you need to do it? we could do it with a 10 gallon tank for all I care... I have a 5 bedroom home with a full basement and a 3 car garage but I will still do the build right here in my living room just to make it fair!!!

So now what is the next excuse you don't have a extra $5 to buy a tank off Craigslist?? Here I will make it one better for you if you win the contest I will re-pay you every penny you spent to built the tank!!! That's how sure I am...
A few comments on this part-

1. Yes, you gave me a chance to prove you wrong. You also went back on your words on how your tank would be built and failed to comment when I called you out on it. Regardless, I provided you with several examples several times now showing tanks in exactly the style that I would have built it. Seems to be a pretty reasonable comparison in my eyes? You wanted proof, I provided you proof.

2. I have given exactly one excuse as to why I cannot do this. I live in an apartment, yes, good job actually reading that part. Had you read more you would have noticed I was concerned about the water. I am not doubting my abilities, nor that the tank would be faulty because of how I built it, however as I explained, I am not a pro, mistakes do happen. I do not want water all over my apartment or in my neighbors below living room. Here is where we differ. You are in your own house. You dumb 10 gallons of water on the floor and you have a mess to clean up. I dump 10 on my floor and I get evicted. I think you should be able to understand and respect that?

3. I never said it was a money issue. I just said I didn't see a point in spending money on this just to prove you wrong when I have now posted 10+ pictures proving my claim to be correct, which is 10+ more support for my argument than you have provided.

Now if you could actually read everything I write before responding I would appreciate it. I at least have the courtesy to read and respond to all of your points.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
This is getting out of hand :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-R830C
How right you are Brother... it was out of hand a feel days ago, but every time I see him trying to twist my words around to what he wants it to mean I just have to say something back!!!

I am very sorry to the OP.. I hope however you do your tank it will last you a lifetime!!! I am also very sorry to all the other MFK members who has seen this and had to deal with it!!! This is not me and I yell at my own kids for the same thing and tell them all the time " Don't sit there and argue with someone about something when you know they are wrong, let them think what they want to think" And now I find myself doing what I tell them not to!!! (I have 4 sons from 12 to 17 they argue about anything)

And for that reason I am done and out of here!!!!!! Have a great night everyone and SORRY AGAIN!!!!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It is funny to me that you try to imply I am the one acting childish when you are the one dishing out the insults and extreme use of exclamation marks. But yeah OK, this is fully my fault :what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store