Tank Size for Piranha

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I am a beginner enthusiast and am wanting to start with Piranha. My question has to do with tank size as I hear the more piranha in a tank the better to give them more confidence. But this also means a bigger tank. So I was wondering if I had say 4 fish, how big a tank would I need? I've googled this and it said 60 Gallon for 4 fish. I wanted to ask the experts here to make sure. Will this be big enough for 4 fish? And are 4 fish enough to make the animals feel comfortable?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I am a beginner enthusiast and am wanting to start with Piranha. My question has to do with tank size as I hear the more piranha in a tank the better to give them more confidence. But this also means a bigger tank. So I was wondering if I had say 4 fish, how big a tank would I need? I've googled this and it said 60 Gallon for 4 fish. I wanted to ask the experts here to make sure. Will this be big enough for 4 fish? And are 4 fish enough to make the animals feel comfortable?

It depends on the species the 60 gallon would just be a growout aquarium for 4 Redbelly Piranha.

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
keep 3 instead of 4...odd is always better with pygos. try to get at least a 100g tank or the biggest tank you could afford and go from there. pygos you can school but serras are solitary species with the exception of the spilos and wimples.

Reactions: tlindsey

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
keep 3 instead of 4...odd is always better with pygos. try to get at least a 100g tank or the biggest tank you could afford and go from there. pygos you can school but serras are solitary species with the exception of the spilos and wimples.
Well I have a 65 gallon already. I'm checking it for leaks tomorrow. I had used it for reptiles before. Would that be big enough for 3?

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
Well I have a 65 gallon already. I'm checking it for leaks tomorrow. I had used it for reptiles before. Would that be big enough for 3?

if I'm not mistaken you cannot use a reptile tank for aquatic use. for one it's not as strong and second there's something in the feces and urine of reptiles that are harmful to aquatic life even though you wash it.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
if I'm not mistaken you cannot use a reptile tank for aquatic use. for one it's not as strong and second there's something in the feces and urine of reptiles that are harmful to aquatic life even though you wash it.
Well it's an aquarium not for reptiles. I had for a time used it for reptiles though. And not even vinegar and water or soap etc will clean it?

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
I might be wrong but I know once you used it for reptiles that's it...you cannot use it for fish. try to get a 2nd opinion...I might be wrong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store