tank size

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
I think the main thing with tank size for Arowana is the width , these fish grow over 24" within a couple years , so I ideally the tank should be 3ft+ wide so the arowana can turn around easily .

In a big tank the fish can move around more gracefully . I have seen Arowana in tanks too small & they normally have gill curl or drop eye.

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
to me as long as the fish can maneuver and move freely in any given position the tank is adequate for it regardless the size of the fish or the tank..of course the bigger the better,,isnt it all our dream to have an tank as big your house for your fish?
lets say the the arowana is 5 inch and the tank only 10G..i dont see a problem with that as long as all parameter and everything taken care of, i will question people who has 5 of 5 inches arowana in 10G tank though.

did a little math of 5 inch fish in standard 10G (20Lx10Wx10H). thats 8.7G volume of water.
to make it simple math for the sake of argument for some of you lets say the grown up arowana is 25 inch which is 5 times of that 5 inches arowana..that means that 10G has turned into 100Wx50Hx50 thats turned into 1,082G of volume of water. *these number measure in inches and gallon of US measurement*
im sure there will be less than 0.1% of MFK arowana keepers has that many gallons in 1 tank
so when someone flaming or "advicing" a person for keeping his 5 inch aro in 10G and not questioning some one who is putting his 1 grown up aro in 500G tank is beyond my head LOL. thats just contradict the "advice given"

some people comments here that its waste of money to spend and buy bigger tank to accommodate the growing up fish, let me tell you something who are you to tell them that? did they use your money, are they your kids?
we are in the forum, we communicate with writing and thats it, we exchange communication thru it and thats it, if they asked advice feel free to give if you know one and proven to be working for you. if they dont ask why give advice?
problem is alot of them never ask advice in the first place alot of them ask for a question or 2, and most of so called 'expert" giving them advice when the "noob" asked for a question instead of answering if (given they know the answer), me the third person(neutral view) looking at the thread that created clearly can see the retard.

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I think the main thing with tank size for Arowana is the width , these fish grow over 24" within a couple years , so I ideally the tank should be 3ft+ wide so the arowana can turn around easily .

In a big tank the fish can move around more gracefully . I have seen Arowana in tanks too small & they normally have gill curl or drop eye.
+1 also 18" black are is miserable in 24" wide tank don't worry building pond as we speak

backpack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
Fl, USA
At 964 comments you arent a noob but man could learn how to listen.
You would have been better starting this thread off as how to raise a aro my way.

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
At 964 comments you arent a noob but man could learn how to listen.
You would have been better starting this thread off as how to raise a aro my way.
if you judging by post number and the join date of me you are correct im not a noob, but you failed to see the whole sentence posted, im a noob just to respond in sarcastic way to the post i quoted on top from the specific poster.
what would you have been better is for you to comment thats not related to the topic we discussing in this thread especially when you dont have the grasp of the whole thing yet.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
did a little math of 5 inch fish in standard 10G (20Lx10Wx10H). thats 8.7G volume of water.
to make it simple math for the sake of argument for some of you lets say the grown up arowana is 25 inch which is 5 times of that 5 inches arowana..that means that 10G has turned into 100Wx50Hx50 thats turned into 1,082G of volume of water.
I think you're trying to create a mathmatical formula for something that isn't really mathmatical. I can see what you're getting at saying that the arowana has had a five-fold increase in length and therefor so should the tank dimensions, but it simply doesn't work like that. Assuming we're talking about a silver arowana, at 5" it will be growing at over an inch a month, where as at 25" the growth will be much slower, and is far closer to its potential size. So while a 5" aro might look ok in a 10g tank, it will be inadequate in a matter of months. The other flaw with your formula is that while the arowana has increased in length five times, the five times increase in tank dimensions have been multiplied exponentially and have given a 100 times increase in water volume, which is rather disproportional to the increase in size of the fish.

I often see certainly formulas quoted for different aspects of fish keeping, and while some of them have some relevance, they aren't the be-all and end-all and should never be used to replace good old common sense and logic. The 1"-per-gallon rule is a great example, works well for your average newbies community tank, but how about 600 neons in a 600g, or a 55" RTC in a 55g.

You said youself that the fish shoudl be able to "maneuver and move freely in any given position the tank", so to do that the fish really needs to be able to do more than just a 180 degree turn at each end of the tank, right?

backpack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
Fl, USA
Just saying you asked a question then flamed everyone who replies.
Maybe you can learn how to shut up and listen. Everyone on the board
has said no it doesnt work like that refer to the sticky. Maybe you should
look at the fact you cannot raise an arrowana for life and accept it will be
sold later down the road. Go start a im going to raise a pima in a 200 and see how that goes.:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store