Tank Suggestions

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
Hi all. A while back I posted about finding my ~100gallon acrylic tank had developed a crack. I was looking at performing a repair, but have since found that the back seam has began to separate and feel much more comfortable scraping the tank(a great excuse to upgrade to something bigger).
Im currently looking to set up a 180 or similar with a standard 55 or 75 gallon underneath as my sump. The plan is to eventually set up a second similarly sized tank and also plumb that tank to the same sump. Second tank would be a heavily planted and lightly stocked to help with nitrates, but also be a nice display piece.
For now though, I’m looking for suggestions on tanks. I have gone the used tank route in the past and would like to get something new this time around.
Currently looking at waterbox, tenecor, and other manufacturers. I’m open to suggestions, and torn between glass and acrylic. I have had both glass and acrylic. I like the weight savings and easy drilling of acrylic, but not sure I want to deal with all the scratching. Additionally if anyone has done a similar set up any tips are welcome. Thanks

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
For a 180g, im all in for glass. At that size the tank is still reasonably portable and not TOO heavy. Imo the strength and weight advantages of acrylic are not significant until youre dealing with tanks 300g+.

The scratch issue depends on your scaping/stocking and tank activity but imo eventually all acrylic tanks will need to be resurfaced/polished at some point, sooner if youre rough on your tanks and definitely more frequently than any glass tank.

I dont have experience with any glass tank brands lately, i hear good things about customaquariums and glasscages has been in the biz a long time now so they must have something right.

If youre a handy person with a workshop and tools available, consider building your own tanks if that appeals to you. Obviously not the path for all though.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store