Tank vs Lawn Mower - Ruined or Fixable?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi all, firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section...

As some of you know I got a 6' tank very cheap and have been rather lazy with cleaning it and bringing it inside, its been on my back lawn for some time now.

Well, my hubby was mowing the lawn yesterday and didn't bother to move the tanks to the other end of the yard, he just moved them a few metres away and mowed where they were sitting...

After he'd finished mowing I heard yelling and cursing coming from the back yard, go out there and the back panel of the tank has two nice holes in it and a few whopping cracks, one of which reaches the base of the tank...

I'll attach pics below to show the damage. I've seen people repair cracked tanks by siliconing two sheets of glass onto each side of the crack to create a seal around it, I'm wondering if this would be possible with this one?

The crack runs right down to the bottom of the tank, but the base panel hasn't been damaged at all. Please tell me it can be fixed and what the best way is to fix it, it was going to be my spoiled bettas tank. :D

Damage done:
IMG_20161220_154834.jpg
Inside the tank:
IMG_20161220_154925.jpg

Idk how well y'all will be able to see the crack running to the bottom in the pics, I can see it with my horrible eyesight but that could just be because I know where it is.

If anyone needs any more pics or details just ask and I'll do my best to provide.

Thanks in advance. :)

Post Script: don't mow lawns with tanks in the yard, it doesn't end well! :eek:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Unfortunately I agree, I have repaired cracked tanks by adding a new piece of glass inside the cracked one before but they didn't have holes in them like that.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'm afraid it doesn't look repairable to me without replacing entire side panel.
Unfortunately I agree, I have repaired cracked tanks by adding a new piece of glass inside the cracked one before but they didn't have holes in them like that.
Thanks guys, he won't be happy about that... Maybe he'll learn his lesson now and move them to the other end of the yard - or I'll learn my lesson and clean the tanks up quicker in future so to not leave them in the yard for long periods of time..

Looks like tomorrow I'll be ringing around and getting quotes for a new panel instead of striping down an old hospital tank :(

Thanks again guys. :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It would likely be cheaper to get a new tank :(

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
It would likely be cheaper to get a new tank :(
Here? I highly doubt that! Especially since its not a standard size tank (here, anyway) so it'd have to be custom made.

You could build a plywood tank and use the remaining glass for your display panels.
We were talking about this last night, then I brought up the idea of just using plywood as the back, but he doesn't think it'll work that way... Opinions? :)

Although I suppose two six foot tanks are always better than one six foot tank ;)

I agree, see if you can salvage the materials at least.

Hmm... it could also become a reptile tank... or a weird garden planter haha.
I hate throwing things away. I have so much hoarded junk that I won't throw away because one day, at some point, me or someone else could use that junk for something. And sheets of glass are very useful junk! :D

Reptiles require a license here that I don't have the money to apply for, that and they're not slimy. License also needed for amphibians. :)

Weird garden planter... Lmao! :D

Or perhaps a paludarium. (don't know if I spelt that correctly)
See above :) and I'm not skilled enough for that yet anyway haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store