Tank weight

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
house full of folks watching football weigh more.
Correct, but those folks don't sit there without moving 24/7, for years on end. But you're right, spread out over floor joices that kind of weight typically wouldn't be an issue.

Rafini ....... if you are currently living in Cowtown find yourself a structural engineer and have them come out and take a look.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
150g weighs 1252. add 250 for tank tops, 1402. spread over joices not that much weight, house full of folks watching football weigh more.
A bunch of people are not a static load. Sure the floor wont cave but they wont be there long enough to cause the floor to settle. And if they were there long enough to see that happen it wouldn't matter, because people aren't fragile glass boxes full of water

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Correct, but those folks don't sit there without moving 24/7, for years on end. But you're right, spread out over floor joices that kind of weight typically wouldn't be an issue.

Rafini ....... if you are currently living in Cowtown find yourself a structural engineer and have them come out and take a look.
i agree if you have any reservations or just want peace of mind, that would be the thing to do. no offence meant mud, just setting the numbers straight. :)

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I completely agree guys I just wondered if there was some kind of basic answer, I always heard that anything bigger than 120 gallons should be in the basement. The house I`m moving to has a nice space when you walk in the door with a piano there and when I moved I was thinking of buying a tank to put there as I`m having to sell my 225 and downsize (It won`t fit in my new basement and I`m not taking it apart again)

YOu guys are right though, I`ll have to look at the placement of joists and where loadbearing walls are but for safe of mind i`ll probably just end up putting the new tank in the basement again

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i have my 180g, my 90g and 2- 75g in my living room with me, I like my fish and tanks with me watching football. :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store