Tank with a self sustaining food source

Alex c

Feeder Fish
Nov 16, 2015
New to the forum and just getting back into fish after a 5+ year hiatus. I have had one Senegal in the past and looking to start again.
I have done a couple searches and seen that a lot of people are against live feeders. Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the reasoning seems to be related to disease, pickiness and other more dominant eaters. I am looking to see if anyone has created or has opinions on an environment with enough feeders (in my case guppies) that they could maintain high enough numbers to feed a bichir with very limited additional feedings.
Right now I am only in the planning/convincing the wife stages and have just started the guppies. Any input would be appreciated.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
been there, tried with guppies, their growth rates are too slow to use as feeders unless you have a massive growing operation, albeit a sustainable in tank food source.

Alex c

Feeder Fish
Nov 16, 2015
Would you be able to elaborate on some of the details of your setup at that time? Size of tank, ~ number of feeders, number of potential predators, decorations... Not saying you messed up or anything. I just like try to plan and run scenarios (as much as is possible). If you have pictures from those setups I would be interested to see them.

For what it's worth, my plan does not include much for other fish. Possibly some sort of docile bottom feeder.

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
I
Would you be able to elaborate on some of the details of your setup at that time? Size of tank, ~ number of feeders, number of potential predators, decorations... Not saying you messed up or anything. I just like try to plan and run scenarios (as much as is possible). If you have pictures from those setups I would be interested to see them.

For what it's worth, my plan does not include much for other fish. Possibly some sort of docile bottom feeder.
I tried it but I have like 10 bichirs in their the adult swordtails are gone and the fry just swim around my bichirs will squish them between the gravel before eating them. 125 gallon 16 swordtails 10 females, 6 males better off with a breeder tank with convict cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store