Tankmakes for Bichir

Petr

Feeder Fish
Aug 5, 2015
My first post here so please take it easy on me :) Hopefully it is in the right forum too...

Tank Setup information:

Tank: 48 long 12 wide 13 tall
It has been setup and running for about 8 months now.
All decorations and plants are plastic.
Water kept at around 80-82F temperature year round by a heater.
Water changes - weekly 15-20 Gal each time. (25-30%)
4 stage (bioballs, ceramic pieces, carbon, cotton mesh) canister filter (rated for up to 175Gal tanks with a spray bar)
Air pump with long bubble stone (rated for 60-75 gal tanks)
Only food used is pellets and algae wafers, no live food.

Current Fish:
Rubber Mouth Pleco (currently about 3 in, supposed ot top out at 6in)
Senegalese Bichir (currently about 8 inch long, pic below in case my ID was off)
CAM00198.jpg

When I got the tank it came with the two above fish and female (unidentified) chiclid (about 6in) that would bully anything that moved including the floating thermometer. I didn't get to see much of the bichir or the pleco other than late at night when the chiclid slept. She has been relocated to a separate tank. Since than the bichir has been out pretty much constantly and actually started interacting with us. He is a very curious guy (or girl...got no idea how to tell).
I'm looking for a possible tank mate suggestions for my Senegalese Bichir (or should I just leave him alone?). My main concern is that I want something that will leave my Bichir alone and not pick at him constantly. I like seeing him out all the time.
From looking things up online lots of places suggested Angelfish. Would those be a good choice? I'm open to any other suggestions.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Angelfish and ear theaters should be fine. Some cichlids I would avoid due to being a bit nippy. But almost all can be placed and as long as it cannot be fit in the mouth then it should work.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Those dimensions sound like a 55 gallon tank. I would not get an eartheater as those can grow up to 12 inches. They will outgrow that tank.

Personally, I would get 10-12 congo tetras, a leopard ctenopoma, and an african knife fish. If you get a leopard ctenopoma, get it small enough so that you can get it on pellets. If you get it large, most of the times it has been fed feeders and will not take pellets.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Those dimensions sound like a 55 gallon tank. I would not get an eartheater as those can grow up to 12 inches. They will outgrow that tank.

Personally, I would get 10-12 congo tetras, a leopard ctenopoma, and an african knife fish. If you get a leopard ctenopoma, get it small enough so that you can get it on pellets. If you get it large, most of the times it has been fed feeders and will not take pellets.
I have two leopard ctenopomas both on anything really which can fit in there mouth. I would add a delhezi. :)

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I always keep a leopard ctenopoma in one of my tanks. They are very interesting looking fish! Yeah, you're right, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth and they get to about 8 inches, but I buy them small from PetsMart and put them on the pellet diet. . Male congo tetras are not only very beautiful, but are too big for a ctenopoma to consider a meal. They go well together if you grow the ctenopoma up with them.

That said, I've tried on two different occassions to buy a large leopard ctenopoma from a LFS. Those fish were stuck on feeders and were aggressive in my tanks. I could not keep them, hence I stick with buying them small and start them on a strict diet of pellets to get them "hooked" on it. I may give them krill like once a week as a treat.

I've never had a delhezi before. I know that an adult male congo tetra is safe with an adult senegal bichir. Would this be true as well for a delhezi bichir or is the delhezi capable to taking down larger fish than a senegal?

I've only kept ornate bichirs, endlicheri bichirs and senegal bichirs. The first two get way too big for a 55 gallon and I'm surprised at tankmates my near 20" endlicheri bichir has been able to take down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store