Tankmates for a Fire eel

reptilefreek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
idaho
ive got a baby 6 inch tiretrack eel and he just started getting a taste for my neon tetras so basicly anything thats bigger then its mouth is and not to agressive

Jumping Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2012
Rhode Island
i have a baby 5 inch fire eel and a 125 gallon tank soon to be heavily planted. Im looking for suitable tank mates that he wont eat when he gets bigger does anybody know if he will eat boesemani rainbows, red rainbows, turquoise rainbows, angelfish, gouramis, or tetras ? Are fire eel good tank mates with other bottom feeders such as corys, Siamese algae eaters, red tail shark and clown loaches?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
They should be fine with your community fish... i am raising my juvi in a community w/ corys and clownloaches and some tetras ect.. i would be leary on keeping them with red tailed sharks, and SAE's as ime these are both more semiaggressive and territorial fish. fire eels truely are gental giants ime.. my last ones where 2' and never touched another fish even when i used minnow sect to feed their other tank-mates. so growing up in a docile comm tank should imo not be an issue. this may change as they do each have their own personalities and they may eat fish if they become hungry enough. but is it likely? imo, No.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I´ve had mine for 6 months or so. He is around 20" atm (eyeballing) and I´ve been keeping him in "asian theme tanks".

- in the old house (until december), I had it with a RTG arowana, ~20 clown loaches (from 3 to 10") - the number increased in time - and an asian bumblebee cat (Pseudomystus siamensis)

- in the new house, I moved the RTG aro (to the big tank) and added 3 bala sharks and a 6" FH (keeping there the 20 clown loaches and the bumblebee cat)

Reactions: lyndon13

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
Sorry to jump on this thread, but would Ghost Knives and Fire Eels run into conflict? Neither one's aggressive, but they have similar needs. Has anyone tried this?
I have this combination currently and it is working just fine. There were some territory skirmishes initially, but have been settled. I think the key is to provide plenty to eat and plenty of hiding places. The eels also don't seem to compete for the clear tubes as they prefer the dark crevices and are able distinguish between the two as they have much better eye sight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jmtjoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Midland, Ontario, Canada
We have our fire eel which is about 2 feet long with a Motoro Stingray, a breeding pair of Green Severums, a synodontis catfish and some lemon fin barbs (until they get larger and get moved on to a larger tank). Everyone gets along great in a 100 gallon long with 40 gallon sump and constant drip system.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I currently have a 32 inch fire eel I keep with a 22 inch clown knife, 19 inch ornate bichir, 7 clown loaches 5-9 inches each, 5 large silver dollars, a gold severum, a geophagus, a blood-red parrot, an 8 inch thin-bar datnoid, a 6 inch leopard ctenopoma and a 10 inch jade sleeper goby. He sometimes gets nippy with the datnoid and goby over territory. I feed him a TON of food about every other day. He tried to bully the knife once or twice, but the knife came out on top. Currently, they are housed in an 8 foot tank and the knife/eel problem is resolved. Other than that, he doesn't bother any other fish in my aquarium. The clown loaches like to veg out with the eel in his hiding spot.

I would recommend severums (just get one to avoid a breeding pair which would become EXTREMELY aggressive if they paired off), blood-red parrots, clown loaches, geophagus, leopard ctenopomas, striped raphael catfish and any other fish of comparable size and temperament to what I've just listed.

In response to the other guy's question, I would not chance a BGK with my fire eel. If the eel got nippy with a BGK, I have a feeling it might harass the knife to death.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store