Tankmates for Firemouth Shoal

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Hey all. I recently upgraded to a 75 gallon tank for my Firemouth and have decided to start a shoal of 5 to more closely replicate their habitat. I have australian rainbowfish and tiger barbs with him right now, but am rehoming the rainbows for a different schooling fish. Which leads to my question. Any good schooling fish for these guys? Considered sticking to many barbs but they aren't a guarantee. Also considering more location-specifics such as mollies or swordtails but if there are any you all love, give me a suggestion. Thank you.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hey all. I recently upgraded to a 75 gallon tank for my Firemouth and have decided to start a shoal of 5 to more closely replicate their habitat. I have australian rainbowfish and tiger barbs with him right now, but am rehoming the rainbows for a different schooling fish. Which leads to my question. Any good schooling fish for these guys? Considered sticking to many barbs but they aren't a guarantee. Also considering more location-specifics such as mollies or swordtails but if there are any you all love, give me a suggestion. Thank you.
My personal pick would be Xiphophorous Hellerii.
I have found Xiphophorous to do well with many Central American cichlids as the cichlids don’t view them as a threat. They would also be biotope correct

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found Xiphophorous to do well with many Central American cichlids as the cichlids don’t view them as a threat. They would also be biotope correct
I agree
But I am one of those anally fixated "geographically correct" sticklers, that want my tanks to be natural..
While technically speaking barbs or rainbow fish work as dither fish, being from Asia and Australia respectively, they do not meet true biotope needs
Swordtails (Gambusia and mollies) would share habitat in nature with T. meeki as would Astyanax (and some other) tetras.
1657970131911.png
Xiphorus mayae above, Roeboides tetras below, both of which I have used as biotopically correct dithers for new world cichlids.
38D6D5AB-B1F3-417B-BBCA-91E7B1FE96C0_1_201_a.jpeg
The bugaboo I see here, is that a 75 gal tank is really not a large enough space to induce true schooling or shoaling behavior.
And will be pretty cramped for a shoal of 5 adult meeki alone (standard L 6" (so not including the tail fin). A friend in Chicago has a large male that hit almost a foot in length (T length)
For that size meeki shoal, and a school of dither fish (that act naturally) a 6 ft tank will probably be minimal.
Another of my anal quirks, I also "don't want" a more colorful type dither fish that upstages the tank with flashy colors that detract from the diva main focus fish (the cichlids)
The photo below was taken in southern Mexico where meeki are found.
1657971399021.png
They are sail fin mollies and Astyanax tetras.
Below mollies (the blue) and another common live bearer in their habitat gambusia
1657971594743.png

Last edited:

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Swordtails (Gambusia and mollies) would share habitat in nature with T. meeki

These have been the main contenders so far

Xiphorus mayae above, Roeboides tetras below, both of which I have used as biotopically correct dithers for new world cichlids.

Roeboides is very neat looking. Never seen them before.

The bugaboo I see here, is that a 75 gal tank is really not a large enough space to induce true schooling or shoaling behavior.
And will be pretty cramped for a shoal of 5 adult meeki alone (standard L 6" (so not including the tail fin). A friend in Chicago has a large male that hit almost a foot in length (T length)
For that size meeki shoal, and a school of dither fish (that act naturally) a 6 ft tank will probably be minimal.

I believe you mentioned him in my other post! If any of them managed to reach over 6" (which im hoping) i will definitely be upgrading to a 6' tank. For the time, ill gauge their behavior and remove the new additions if stress builds.

Another of my anal quirks, I also "don't want" a more colorful type dither fish that upstages the tank with flashy colors that detract from the diva main focus fish (the cichlids)

I agree with this. I want a little color, not a frenzy of neons.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Im considering these. I'm just worried they grow too large to add to multiple cichlids. If I had a 6' tank I would be all for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store