Tankmates for Senegal Bichir

Almonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2015
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. I have been in the hobby for quite some time but I'm going a different route with my newest tank. I just picked up a 50 gallon long, 48.5 x 12.75 x 18.75 and am currently working on getting the rest of the equipment then starting the fishless cycle. I have a few questions.

1. I have done some research on here and have concluded the Senegals can be housed in a tank this size, now I am just wondering what else? It seems everyone on here recommends Tinfoils or Silver Dollars, and I would like something with some more color. Would any type of Cichlid work? I'd love a Jack Dempsey but what's the opinion on this.

2. Obviously fish activity is influenced by species and by the individual, which is part of the reason why I'm going with a Senegal since I want an active fish. Do any of you have inactive Senegals and what are some ways to promote activity in this species (dithers etc.)?

3. Is there any way to go planted? I would like to start another planted tank but have read these fish don't allow bottom dwelling plants so if you have any suggestions in that realm that'd be great.

Sorry for the long post but I figured if I could get all my questions answered in one thread it'd be best. Thanks in advance.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a Firemouth with my grow out group:) I recently tied some moss to the branches, and java fern, my firemouth actually did the aquascapeing lol:)

20150619_101455.jpg

20150619_101137.jpg

20150619_094920.jpg

Almonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2015
That's a beautiful firemouth. I really like the idea of one in the tank. Do you think two Senegals could live comfortably in a 50 long together? I'm just worried about territorial issues if I tried that. Your tank makes me want two haha

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My firemouth actually tolerates the sens, but when he's tired of them venturing in his space lol he just gives them a little nudge.:) The foot print for adult sens in a 50 long is kind of tight as most members might agree, but I will be setting up a 40 breeder which is wider. Senegal bichirs are more active imo when it comes to polys.

Almonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2015
I think I'll just stick to one then. I'd rather be understocked than overstocked. And thanks! This will be my 5th tank, I have no idea why I didn't join sooner!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You will be fine with 2 in the 50, I meant the length of the fish when adult most cb sens don't get as big as the wc ones. Albino bicher grow smaller from what I've read. I have 5 grow outs in my 55 using a aquaclear 70 with weekly wc's with no issues with water parameters, but will be getting rid of a couple of them hopefully when they pair off.:)

Almonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2015
That's really good news then. I run AC70s and 110s on all of my tanks and plan on doing the same for this one. It's still going to be about a month or so til the tank sees first life so I have some time to decide. How active are your sens?

Almonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2015
I am definitely deadset on Sens then. Plus my LFS doesn't stock any species besides the Sens so it all works out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store