Tap water conditioner

Milpool

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2010
Massachusetts
I was wondering which is better to use to condition water during water changes.
API's Stress Coat+ or Prime?
I've been using the Stress Coat+ for years without any complaints but heard good things about Prime.
What do you use?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Prime for me aswell. It is what all my LFS use and all of my friends use it too. I have used it from the beginning of my fish keeping days and I have never had any problems with it and it has always done its job very well.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Related question for those who use Prime: Do you do drain your 50% (or whatever amount you do water changes) and then add the prime to the remaining water n the tank then top off the tank with tap water again? I'm getting tired of the bucket brigade for a 75gal tank and my tank is in the dining room adjacent to the kitchen so being able to vacuum and fill both using the sink (near a sliding glass door so I can drain to the back yard in the summer time) sure would make my life easier.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I add the prime straight to the water in the tank, then add in the tap water. I used to add water to a 32 gallon trashcan first, then treat it with prime and wait half an hour then add it in manually, boy what a waste of time that was.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
I add the prime straight to the water in the tank, then add in the tap water. I used to add water to a 32 gallon trashcan first, then treat it with prime and wait half an hour then add it in manually, boy what a waste of time that was.
Thanks for the quick reply. Considering changing up the way I do water changes and the options are tap water w/Prime (we are luck to have good water w/only chlorine to worry about) or running a carbon block filter water supply line near the tank to fill with. Of course the draining method will remain the same no matter which refill method I choose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store