Tarpon question / help

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
aquascape sells freshwater tarpon often
Yeah I see them for sale but just because people label them as fresh dosent mean they are. Like for example feshwater moray eels, yeah young they can be in fresh but as they age they need to go back to salt and even when they can be in fresh they need some salt in the water. Groupers can be in fresh but not for long tho.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
In south america there are several populations of land locked tarpons in pure fresh water for many many generations. I currently have some and they are thriving. They seem to like a lot of current. I have them with some tigerfish. On the tank o have 12x turn over per hour and they love it! I noticed a huge difference in behavior from just sponge filters and with the added current.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
In low salinity, they require a lot more movement/oxygen in the water. Also remember tarpon will gulp air (air breathers), so you'll need an open top.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Yeah I see them for sale but just because people label them as fresh dosent mean they are. Like for example feshwater moray eels, yeah young they can be in fresh but as they age they need to go back to salt and even when they can be in fresh they need some salt in the water. Groupers can be in fresh but not for long tho.
Ok no problem, if you want to contact aquascape with questions they are real good with customers. Also have a very good reputation here on mfk.

KiZZLe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
USA
I was at the Museum of Natural Science in San Francisco and they had a HUGE tarpon in their freshwater tunnel aquarium swimming next to a arapaima and a silver arowana. I believe it was labeled as a Indo tarpon.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Most of the "freshwater tarpon" are Indo Pacific tarpon - we are dealing with two species here - both can be kept in freshwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store