Taste of The Wild Salmon Dog food as fish food

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
RD you must be mistaken. I am told that potato gardens in Idaho are overrun with wild fish digging them up & popping them like pills. fences won't keep them out, farmers are packing shotguns.
;)

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Dog food is designed for dogs. NOT for fish.

The problem with most dog food, including this brand, is that it is typically too high in fat for tropical fish kept in captivity. This brand, like most, is also high in the wrong type of fat (Omega 6) and low in the correct type of fat (Omega 3) especially for a SW fish such as a V. lionfish. Many fish won't do well on fat such as Canola Oil, especially marine species. SW fish will do very poorly on any type of fat derived from terrestrial based plants.

Also, while this food may be "grain free", the 3rd, 4th, and 8th ingredients (quite possibly the 1st or second ingredient when combined?) is POTATOES. I do not know of a single species of fish on the planet that consumes POTATOES in its natural environment, and again, it's a terrestrial based food, that is very high in STARCH.

This is why fish eat fish food, dogs eat dog foods, and cats eat cat food. If you don't understand the science behind commercial foods you're far better off letting the animal nutritionists do the math for you.

Ingredients
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 25.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.4% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum
Not to hate on your post, as I understand what you're saying and honestly you are probably correct, but even fish foods contain plenty of ingredients that fish would never consume.

I feed hikari cichlid gold and here are the ingredients:

Fish meal, flaked corn, wheat flour, gluten meal, brewers' dried yeast, dried A niger fermentaion extract, garlic, astaxanthin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, D activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), inositol, para-aminobenzoic acid, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, salt, ferrous chloride, copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, aluminum sulfate, magnesium sulfate.

#2 Flaked corn, #3 wheat flour, #4 Gluten meal, etc, etc.

I understand the nutrition content may be more geared towards the health of the fish but unless you're making you're own fish food the ingredients aren't going to be all natural.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
The up side is maybe your Lion fish will go after pellets now.
You're right actually, I bought some bigger pellets that look similar to the dog food and he ate a couple.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
You're right actually, I bought some bigger pellets that look similar to the dog food and he ate a couple.
Very cool stick with it, you can just feed pellets (fish food) ;) A win win!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
fhawk .................. Certainly there are foods designed for fish that I wouldn't personally recommend to hobbyists either, and I never said that there aren't fish foods that are what I would consider high in starch. Not all species of fish assimilate raw ingredients in the same way, or with the same efficiency. As an example, a goldfish would be able to assimilate & digest the corn, wheat and gluten meal in your Hikari FAR better than a V. lionfish. In commercial settings tilapia are grown out on diets that aren't too far off from feeding them clumps of straw, try that with a group of lionfish and you would quickly have a group of dead lionfish.

For many species of fish carbohydrates ARE part of their natural diet in the wild, but one has to compare the fish, to the diet, and decide how much and even what kind is safe, or unsafe.

You asked about a specific brand of dog food and its safety when feeding to your fish, which appeared to be in relation to feeding a specific species of fish. I gave a couple of pretty simple & straightforward reasons why that wouldn't be a very good idea.

And the reason that I tend to go into a bit of detail in my posts, instead of just saying no, that would be a stupid idea - is because this "dog food" question comes up every several months or so, and I want *everyone* who may read these discussions to clearly understand why it is a bad idea.

Hopefully that helps clear things up for you.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
fhawk .................. Certainly there are foods designed for fish that I wouldn't personally recommend to hobbyists either, and I never said that there aren't fish foods that are what I would consider high in starch. Not all species of fish assimilate raw ingredients in the same way, or with the same efficiency. As an example, a goldfish would be able to assimilate & digest the corn, wheat and gluten meal in your Hikari FAR better than a V. lionfish. In commercial settings tilapia are grown out on diets that aren't too far off from feeding them clumps of straw, try that with a group of lionfish and you would quickly have a group of dead lionfish.

For many species of fish carbohydrates ARE part of their natural diet in the wild, but one has to compare the fish, to the diet, and decide how much and even what kind is safe, or unsafe.

You asked about a specific brand of dog food and its safety when feeding to your fish, which appeared to be in relation to feeding a specific species of fish. I gave a couple of pretty simple & straightforward reasons why that wouldn't be a very good idea.

And the reason that I tend to go into a bit of detail in my posts, instead of just saying no, that would be a stupid idea - is because this "dog food" question comes up every several months or so, and I want *everyone* who may read these discussions to clearly understand why it is a bad idea.

Hopefully that helps clear things up for you.
I appreciate it honestly, I just got a little ticked off about the joke about potatoes from another member, but I was being nitpicky.

Very insightful definitely don't want anything to happen to my lionfish but want to get him off live as soon as possible because they say most live feeders are too fatty for them as well.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries, congrats on getting your lionfish on to a pellet diet. Over the long haul it will be far better for the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store