Teach me about tumbling media and fluidized filters

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I noticed the drama that tended to flare up at least once a page. Who knew people could be so sensitive about their media choices? Good job trying to keep that thread on course though. There is a lot of really useful info throughout!

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Another question I've been thinking about: What volume of media would actually benefit my tank? I've already got about 10 gallons of bioballs, I believe. Would adding 14 liters of K1 be significant? What about 24 liters (roughly 1 cubic foot from what I can derive)?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?559342-DIY-Radial-Flow-Separators/page2

There's a link to a thread that shows the bio tower/reactors.

I've always been lead to believe different kinds of media can be homes to slightly different bacteria, so for this reason and the reason of seeding new systems I use bio balls, ceramic rings, and K1 (moving beds). But I be sure to run most of the water through the K1 first.

You can only grow enough bacteria to compensate for the bio load. Like mentioned earlier K1 harbors "Spartans" only the strong healthy bacteria, all the rest is knocked off and wisked away or left in the bottom of the reactor (depends on flow rates). For this reason it would be a good idea to have a drain on your reactor so you can get rid of the "mum" IF your flow rates aren't high enough to rinse it away.

As far as what you have already, from my understanding IF the bio balls are housing enough bacteria and the reactor/moving bed is down stream it may not grow any bacteria, so you kind of have to prioritize where you want the bacteria. The huge thing about reactors is the ability to self clean. The dead bio doesn't get trapped in the media like it does with all other medias. A buildup of dead bio seems to coincidently play a part in the health of my animals. Running old giant wet dries I had to completely rip them apart and clean them several times a year to keep my rays from developing bacterial infections, have had very little issues with this after switching to relying primarily on moving beds.

Amount of K1 needed will depend on bio load and in turn the amount of food you feed.
http://pentairaes.com/40-gal-18-x-36-3-ft.html

I used aquatic eco systems bio reactors as a guide line as to how much media to how big of vessel and even recommended flow rates. Many running reactors run them at a slower flow rate then what typical tank turnover is, like run a separate loop at a lower rate. Many use this 2nd loop for both their UV and the bio reactor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store