Teeth in my black sand

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Can you get a picture of them? Just to throw this out- several years ago I had rays on black sand and noticed one day little white specs in the sand. These white specs turned out to be grains of sand the rays had eaten. The digestive work took the black finish off of the sand grains.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Very interesting, when i used to run black sand i used to find white specs too and i just thought it was old sand my rays pooped out or pieces of ceramic rings.. Wish i would have kept that black sand and sifted through it when i went bare bottom.. That would have been cool to save some ray teeth.. :(

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Very interesting, when i used to run black sand i used to find white specs too and i just thought it was old sand my rays pooped out or pieces of ceramic rings.. Wish i would have kept that black sand and sifted through it when i went bare bottom.. That would have been cool to save some ray teeth.. :(
So you haven't noticed them as much as you did on with black sand
So do you think they are loosing less on bare bottom

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I thought it was common knowledge that stingrays shed their teeth? I know a lot of guys will keep a tiny bag of oyster shells in their filters to release minute amounts of calcium into the water column to help regrow teeth.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I thought it was common knowledge that stingrays shed their teeth? I know a lot of guys will keep a tiny bag of oyster shells in their filters to release minute amounts of calcium into the water column to help regrow teeth.
That's just to buff the ph surely
as you want want to be putting them in the sump if your ph was already over 8

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
There is no need to pull shed teeth out. They tend to be fairly blunt and not at all a risk to the ray at the point where most fall out. Many are ingested when they come loose, and that doesn't cause issues at all for them.

Rays are like sharks in the respect that they only shed teeth as needed. They adapt to the situation, so if they are wearing down faster, they will be replaced faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store