Temperature range for CB angels....

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
Hi all, I'm beginning the planning stages for stocking my nearly 1000g tank and have captive bred angels in mind. I see that the proper temps for these guys seems to be 78 and above, but was wondering if they would like slightly cooler temps? I'm wanting to keep a good number of cories and barbs, many of which enjoy the cooler temps and was wondering if there is a happy medium that can be reached. I guess, to make my question simple, would Angels be happy at 76, or is 78 really where they need to be at? I'm not sure how much of a difference 2 degrees can make, but I thought I'd ask some of the resident pros here for some input.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
CB doesn't matter a whole lot. I try to stay around 80-82. I keep all my SA tanks a little on the warm side.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Be careful of your 'barb' choices. They can be real chasers and fin nippers (thinking of your Angels). Best to go with some tetras ... biotopically correct and not problematic unless they are too small and can become Angel snacks. I agree with decoy50 ... 80-82F is better.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
question: will angelfish be more susceptible to ich at lower temperatures... if not, then what?
I was thinking of getting some for one of my comm tanks, but the temperature hasn't been kept *that high.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don't keep angels any lower than 80F. I know a lot of people keep them at 78F or around there but I find they seem healthier and more robust at 80 - 82F. Short-term dips into the high 70s (usually accompanied by a large water change) will usually trigger spawning but I don't think it's a great idea to keep that temperature permanently.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
Looks like from what you guys are saying and what i've been reading elsewhere 78 is more ideal than 76. That puts the tank in the upper limits for what many cories and barbs would be comfortable with, but still lots of choices there at that temp. As for barbs, I'll be doing a large shoal of Roseline barbs/sharks, which in my experience at least, aren't nippy or boisterous at all as far as barbs go. I'll have a couple other shoaling species, but no other barbs. I'm also scaping the tank in a manner that there will be plenty of open water space and plenty of vertical structure along with a lot of rock work and other wood to provide separation and "zones" for different species to have their preferred spaces.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Cory Sterbai should be fine at 80F.

I'm doing 5-6 Red Back Angels with Sterbai Cory and tetras with 80F in mind.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Fiveband barb should handle 80F.

They are peaceful and don't nip at fins of other fish, and they shoal together much better then neontetras IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store