Tessalata Moray Eel Recommended Tank Dimensions

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
So here’s the deal. I’ve been thinking about fish I want to keep in the nearby future. I’m saving up for a house, as I mentioned in one of my recent posts, but I want to get an aquarium as quickly as possible when I get a place.

I want a tessalata moray as my first monster fish. I’m sitting on a 180 gallon that I was planning on using as a grow out for one, but I’m thinking now it would be a better idea to just build a plywood tank for one and skip the costs of setting up a grow out tank and then later upgrading.

I know nothing about making plywood tanks and was thinking of following the king of DIY’s plywood build almost exactly. That tank in his tutorial was 78 inches long 38 inches wide and 29 inches tall. My tank would probably only be 24 inches tall so I can get it out of my basement easily. Will these be enough for a tessalata moray if it is the only big fish in the tank? I’m told they’re aggressive so other than some fast damsels and cleaner shrimp (hoping the eel and the shrimp will get along so I can see the symbiotic relationship between the two) I wouldn’t try to keep anything else with it.

Reactions: tlindsey

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
So here’s the deal. I’ve been thinking about fish I want to keep in the nearby future. I’m saving up for a house, as I mentioned in one of my recent posts, but I want to get an aquarium as quickly as possible when I get a place.

I want a tessalata moray as my first monster fish. I’m sitting on a 180 gallon that I was planning on using as a grow out for one, but I’m thinking now it would be a better idea to just build a plywood tank for one and skip the costs of setting up a grow out tank and then later upgrading.

I know nothing about making plywood tanks and was thinking of following the king of DIY’s plywood build almost exactly. That tank in his tutorial was 78 inches long 38 inches wide and 29 inches tall. My tank would probably only be 24 inches tall so I can get it out of my basement easily. Will these be enough for a tessalata moray if it is the only big fish in the tank? I’m told they’re aggressive so other than some fast damsels and cleaner shrimp (hoping the eel and the shrimp will get along so I can see the symbiotic relationship between the two) I wouldn’t try to keep anything else with it.
tessalata eels can grow up to 6 feet. they need a minimum depth of 36 inches so they can move freely. By the way the length is approximately 6.5 feet while these eels can get up to 6 feet. so this tank is small. A larger one would be needed, at least with a greater lenght and depth

LambCh0p

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
tessalata eels can grow up to 6 feet. they need a minimum depth of 36 inches so they can move freely. By the way the length is approximately 6.5 feet while these eels can get up to 6 feet. so this tank is small. A larger one would be needed, at least with a greater lenght and depth
So what size would you say is the minimum?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hey tlindsey tlindsey Lepisosteus Lepisosteus yall know anything about these eels?

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
. i had a 3 feet moray eel in a 12 foot pond. did absolutely amazing until finally dying by getting out of water through a water outlet.

• Wow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store